Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get local weather in Kubuntu 16.04 widget?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get local weather in Kubuntu 16.04 widget?

It looks like I am to enter the weather address for Dayton, Ohio, US, when configuring the widget. I tried copying and pasting the address for several weather websites, but none are appropriate for the new weather widget in K16.04. I even tried Dayton,Ohio,US(wetter.com) like it is in K14.04LTS.

Can't seem to find anything using search that works. Anyone have a solution? New York and Bonn, Germany were already in the application; I removed both of them>selected + and entered a multiplicity of Internet weather addresses for Dayton, Ohio, US, none were accepted. Shab

Which weather widget? In a default 16.04 installation, there isn't a weather widget.

Added:

I added the Weather Widget using Discover. It won't run because package qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel isn't installed; at least here it wasn't. After installing it then removing the widget, rebooting, and reinstalling Weather Widget it now works.

Steps:

1. Open a konsole and type:

sudo apt-get install qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel

2. Launch Discover and search for Weather Widget

3. Click on the entry and click the Install button.

4. Right-click on the Panel and select Panel Options > Add Widgets...

4. Search for Weather Widget

5. Double-click to install to the Panel.

In the System Tray you will now see a temperature (in Celsius) and an icon for current sky conditions. As installed, Bonn, Germany is the default weather location.

6. Right-click on the temperature and select Weather Widget Settings...

In the displayed window, you'll see two locations; Bonn, Germany and New York, USA.

(To add a new location you click on either the +yr.no or +OWM button. For these steps, I used the +yr.no button.)

7. Open a browser and enter this URL: http://http://www.yr.no/sted/USA/

8. Click on the State of Ohio button. You'll find that Dayton isn't listed, but that's okay, because it is available.

9. Click on any of the listed city names; I clicked on Cleveland.

10. Copy the entire URL. It should be: http://www.yr.no/sted/USA/Ohio/Cleveland/

11. In the Weather Widget window, click on the +yr.no button.

12. Paste the copied URL in the next window. DO NOT CLICK ON OK! You should see http://www.yr.no/sted/USA/Ohio/Cleveland/

13. Now replace Cleveland with Dayton so that the URL shows as http://www.yr.no/sted/USA/Ohio/Dayton/

14. Click the OK button. The added entry will be at the bottom of the list of locations. Click on the up arrow button in the Action column to move it up in the queue. Continue until Dayton is at the top of the list. Alternatively, if you don't want the other entries, just click the - button under the Action column to delete them.

15. Click on Units on the left. Here you can change from European to American/US display settings.

16. Click on Apply and/or OK as required.

Voila. You're done.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 15, 2016, 03:12 PM.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
      ... New York and Bonn, Germany were already in the application; I removed both of them>selected + and entered a multiplicity of Internet weather addresses for Dayton, Ohio, US, none were accepted. Shab
      Bonn & New York as default - Probably this: http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=169572

If you click (1) or (2):

1) Find your town string in yr.no (english version) -> http://www.yr.no
      ...and use the URL from your browser to add a new location. E.g. paste this:http://www.yr.no/place/Germany/North...stphalia/Bonn/'

2) Find your city ID by searching here:http://openweathermap.org/find
      ...and paste here the whole URL e.g. http://openweathermap.org/city/2946447 for Bonn, Germany.
      Try Me !

Comment

Use your browser and bookmark WeatherUnderground. Probably the best weather info on the web, IMO. The smartphone app is awesome as well.
        On the desktop I use yaWP (yet another Weather Program) and it is nice. You can get it from here.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Which weather widget? In a default 16.04 installation, there isn't a weather widget.

Added:

I added the Weather Widget using Discover. It won't run because package qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel isn't installed; at least here it wasn't. After installing it then removing the widget, rebooting, and reinstalling Weather Widget it now works.

Steps:

1. Open a konsole and type:

sudo apt-get install qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel
          steven@steven-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel[/CONSOLE]
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          E: Unable to locate package qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel[
          E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel['
          E: Regex compilation error - Invalid regular expression
          E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel['
          steven@steven-desktop:~$

2. Launch Discover and search for Weather Widget
          I tried to launch discover using Alt+f2 (is that discover?) nothing opened and I was told I had the latest version installed. I then opened Alt+f2 and entered 'Weather Widget' but nothing showed up.

3. Click on the entry and click the Install button.
          I am probably screwing up somehow, so I stopped here. Then I read the rest of your reply and tried to go to the weather link you mentioned. I have to tell you, my friend, I just updated - dist-upgraded -sudo dpkg --configure -a and since I have started to use the application again it has become very buggy. Anything I do is delayed an extraordinary amount of time. I tried to go to the weather link you provided and my browser would not engage.

I right-clicked on the weather widget to configure and selected the '+' then entered the address, same as you did for Cleveland only I used Dayton. Nothing happened and the apply button did not highlight. If there is a way to return to the non-update and dist-upgrade state prior to the last entry of same, I do not know how to do that.

I am thinking that I should just wait for the next update and try again, and hope that what I just did is corrected, unless that is a bad idea.

When I right-click where the weather widget should be, the config dialog opens, but selected settings do not take effect, unless I am doing something wrong.

When I tried to remove the weather widget to try your other suggestions, right-click produced a buggy reaction. the window would open and immediately close. I repeated the process and eventually it held, but there was no option to remove the widget. I have had similar situations like this happen after a short time running a Beta distribution, so I am feeling that the update process caused the problem.

I will wait for further instructions prior to proceeding. Oh, by-the-way, sometimes when I attempt to type an instruction, I will press a key and it will not print, the second letter usually does though. If I repeat the process long enough, eventually the correct letter will print, but it is a long and tedious proposition. The system seems to 'blink' each time a letter is pressed too. I don't understand but you might.

Before I answered your post, the GreyGeek entered a reply. He suggested another option for a weather source. If you read his input, does it mean using his instruction will add his source to the k16.04 weather widget or place another on the screen. BYW, I do not intend your thinking I am yelling, I am just trying to reply near your instruction and still easily separate your comments with mine. Thanks!

4. Right-click on the Panel and select Panel Options > Add Widgets...

4. Search for Weather Widget

5. Double-click to install to the Panel.

In the System Tray you will now see a temperature (in Celsius) and an icon for current sky conditions. As installed, Bonn, Germany is the default weather location.

6. Right-click on the temperature and select Weather Widget Settings...

In the displayed window, you'll see two locations; Bonn, Germany and New York, USA.

(To add a new location you click on either the +yr.no or +OWM button. For these steps, I used the +yr.no button.)

7. Open a browser and enter this URL: http://http://www.yr.no/sted/USA/

8. Click on the State of Ohio button. You'll find that Dayton isn't listed, but that's okay, because it is available.

9. Click on any of the listed city names; I clicked on Cleveland.

10. Copy the entire URL. It should be: http://www.yr.no/sted/USA/Ohio/Cleveland/

11. In the Weather Widget window, click on the +yr.no button.

12. Paste the copied URL in the next window. DO NOT CLICK ON OK! You should see http://www.yr.no/sted/USA/Ohio/Cleveland/

13. Now replace Cleveland with Dayton so that the URL shows as http://www.yr.no/sted/USA/Ohio/Dayton/

14. Click the OK button. The added entry will be at the bottom of the list of locations. Click on the up arrow button in the Action column to move it up in the queue. Continue until Dayton is at the top of the list. Alternatively, if you don't want the other entries, just click the - button under the Action column to delete them.

15. Click on Units on the left. Here you can change from European to American/US display settings.

16. Click on Apply and/or OK as required.

Voila. You're done.

Comment

You incorrectly included a [ on the end of the package name.

Comment

I am laughing. It is the thing I do when I am happy. It will probably last for a while.

I know that was very easy for you, but I would never have succeeded without your ABC type of instruction. I refuse to be embarrassed by this. It is the life I must lead, my friend. I so admire you and other forum helpers who understand this stuff so readily. I don't know the extra work you had to do to help me, but it is so appreciated. Thanks for your patience and wonderful help.

I am trying to learn to garden. That is why I need regular weather advice. This is my second year. I even grew indoors this winter. I want non GMO foods in my diet and the taste. I spent about $100 getting supplies for the winter and only my tomato plants and a couple of peppers survived. The tomato was a Mexican dwarf cherry. It literally had thousands of flowers that I nudged to get the pollen moving. These are the smallest tomatoes I have ever seen, less than 1/2 inch in diameter. I only got 5 tomatoes out of my garden. They are a little smaller than a small bubble gum ball, but taste good - not $20 worth though. That's $20 a tomato, so you can see, I work hard to get too little results in other things too. I sometimes wonder what GOD's plan was for me? LOL Thanks and regards, my friend Shab I hope knowing me isn't too much of an embarrassment!

Comment

And I copy and pasted the instruction so I wouldn't screw up.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                You incorrectly included a [ on the end of the package name.

Comment

Everyone is both smart and dumb. Some in one thing and some in another. No one is smart in everything nor dumb in everything.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Glad you got it figured out. Now that the widget is installed, I'll assume that you discovered that when you click on the temperature that a quite detailed display of weather information pops up, yes?

Comment

GreyGeek: Everyone is both smart and dumb. Some in one thing and some in another. No one is smart in everything nor dumb in everything.
                      Yes. And sometimes, it is simply a matter of choice: you may, with high probability, become "smart" in those things you choose to focus on with some degree of intent and passion. Or a matter of luck. To be lucky enough to have a good mentor that came along at the right time.
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi friend, I just deleted several pages of unnecessary data. I am glad I did; I probably avoided some further embarrassment. The short answer to your reply is this:

It was you that figured it out and me who finally understood your instruction well enough to perform your instruction accurately enough to be successful. I am still laughing. It is such a joy for me when things I want that may be very unimportant to others find their solution. I am so happy, I have to laugh. Because it is so long after the success of the event, you can see by my current laughter how happy that solution has made me.

Even when the information is spoon-fed, step by step, I usually have a little trouble, but let's be straight about this, you did the work and I copied your answer. You are amazing. Thanks! Shab hopefully some or all of the info will find a permanent home in my mind.

Comment

You Qqmike are quite amazing too. Dibl is very modest and unpresuming while being extremely capable and guru/like with his computer wisdom. You would love what he personally said to me about you. I know that you are very gifted and worthy of respect, because I know a little about Don and he cannot get away with his humble nature with me. I know, first hand, how brilliant he is. My respect for him and what he said about you is very impressive. I would love that someone could say that about me and be telling the truth. And GreyGeek, Vinny, and Snowhog, and RodJ (who has taken much personal and private time to help me) are among the Kubuntu giants that I know. Thanks to you all. Shab And half the time, I don't understand you, Woodsmoke, but you too have helped me. Keep up keeping up. Those of you who I have missed, these are those who came to mind at the moment, but you know who you are; I am gratefull to you too

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          Yes. And sometimes, it is simply a matter of choice: you may, with high probability, become "smart" in those things you choose to focus on with some degree of intent and passion. Or a matter of luck. To be lucky enough to have a good mentor that came along at the right time.

Comment

Working...
                          X