X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm unable to setup a samba printer with new Plasma 5

Hi,
    I had my samba printer working just fine with kde 4, but since the change to the new version of Plasma I'm unable to set it up and the printer config module acts weirdly. Let me explain.
    When I add the printer with the normal set up (samba printer, URI, user, password, brand, model) when I click on Finish, the printer doesn't appear as configured. I have to return to the main system settings setup and after go back to printer setup, then it appears. But the printer is not working, it is shown as "paused, rejecting jobs" and the printer set up doesn't let me to delete that printer. After trying several times to delete it, the kde printer config module is crashing.
    I'm using kubuntu 15.10 with kubuntu ppa updates. The same problem happened after re-installing the system. I also tried to config the printer directly in cups (localhost:631), but no luck.

Any idea about this problem?
    Thank you.

printer URI format: smb://printer.ip.number/printer_name
    user: my username (with blank space)

I don't know if the below is the area where you set up the printer or if it was through the System Settings for adding the printer, but I can say I always go through the below and don't have issues. Click on the Administration menu item. On resulting page click Add Printer. It'll ask for admin credentials at that point and from there on, I think, it is fairly straight forward.

http://localhost:631/

Comment

I've tried to set up the printer via cups (localhost:631), but I've always got the "Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE" error.
      I've tried differents URI's, but I can't get through.

smb://server/printer
      smb://workgroup/server/printer
      smb://usernameassword@server/printer
      smb://usernameassword@workgroup/server/printer

The problem could be the space in my username?
      I've tried:
      my%20username
      my\ username
      my username.

And neither works.
      I was able to use this username setting up the printer with the kde printer settings (without escaping the space)
      Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 12, 2016, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Are you set up as a samba user?

Comment

Yes, I had a user set up on System Settings -- Windows Share. I've just tried different combinations of setting up the printer with this Windows User already set or not and none is working. I mean I've set up the printer without specifying a user at the printer share, but with this Windows Share user set up, and viceversa. Also I've tried to set up the printer using the KDE system settings -- Printers and the CUPS localhost:631.
          I want to mention again the weird behavior of the KDE system settings -- Printers. The printer just added doesn't show immediately at the printers settings or the one just deleted stills is showed. Exiting the printer settings and going back the printers were showing correctly, The kde printer setting keeps crashing after deleting this samba printer with it and I need to restart the cups service.

Comment

"Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE" is an authentication error. I would look on your windows machine and make sure your workgroup is named "workgroup". It might be something else. Then check your smb.conf file and see if the workgroup is named correctly. You can also install 'system-config-samba' through Synaptic. This is a gui where you can set preferences (such as workgroup) and add users. I find it easier than scrolling through smb.conf. I can't comment on the weird behavior of KDE System settings. I have an HP and loaded drivers from HP website.

Comment

The question is I didn't have any problem with kde4 and now with kde5 with the same printer, the same server and the same username and password I can't connect.

In the other side, I can access windows shares with this username / password, In dolphin, I can browse smb://server/share.
              Last edited by rbnmndz; Apr 14, 2016, 01:22 AM.

Comment

So, there is definitely a space in your user name? Is that something set-up on the printer or local to the PC?

Comment

Yes, my Windows username has an space. It is working in the "kde settings --> network --> connectivity --> windows shares" without escaping the space, because I can browse files of windows shares with Dolphin, And in kde4 this username was working also in the printer connection (network smb printer).

Edit: kde settings --> (network) connectivity --> windows shares
                  Last edited by rbnmndz; Apr 14, 2016, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I have nothing listed under "kde settings --> network --> connectivity --> windows shares" and mine works so somehow your authentication is confused. I'm on 15.10. You might try installing 'system-config-samba' through Synaptic. Open and go to Preferences>>Samba User. Click your user and click edit. Make sure it is listed as Unix user and Windows user. Enter password, re-enter password and click 'OK'. Then go to Preferences>>Server settings and make sure your workgroup name is correct (you will have to check your Windows machine System properties). Under Security settings make sure Authentication mode is 'User'. You may have to restart Samba or reboot after this.

You can also look at your smb.conf file (etc/samba). Scroll through file. You should see your workgroup name listed. My printer section looks like this:

[printers]
                    comment = All Printers
                    browseable = no
                    path = /var/spool/samba
                    printable = yes
                    ; guest ok = no
                    ; read only = yes
                    create mask = 0700

# Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
                    # printer drivers
                    [print$]
                    comment = Printer Drivers
                    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
                    ; browseable = yes
                    ; read only = yes
                    ; guest ok = no

Comment

I don't understand why I have to configure samba server in my PC because I only want to connect to a remote samba printer. I don't want my PC to be a Samba server.

Comment

Originally posted by rbnmndz View Post
                        I don't understand why I have to configure samba server in my PC because I only want to connect to a remote samba printer. I don't want my PC to be a Samba server.
                        AFAIK, you don't. You do have to have cups installed and configured tho I think.

What do you get when you type this in a browser URL bar:

http://localhost:631

Please Read Me

Comment

Also smb-client is needed (not server). The problem may be related to Plasma 5 and the changes that were made to samba.

BTW, just because a space in your username works one place doesn't guarantee it will work elsewhere. Frankly it's a bad practice in my opinion, but it's your machine.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                          X