This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Install - No Wired Connection

Just installed Kubuntu 15.04 and the wired ethernet won't connect.

ifconfig shows eth0 with a mac address.

Do I just need to set manual connection on the ipv4? If so, what specific ip addresses do I use from my router? I put in the ip, subnet, and dns addresses, but can't find a gateway address.

Any help with all this would be much appreciated.

Gateway is usually the ip of your router.

Does dmesg show any errors?
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
      Gateway is usually the ip of your router.

Does dmesg show any errors?
      Hmm...I used the router ip as the gateway and no change.

The dmesg has a lot of info, but the only line in red says ​ACPI PCC probe failed.

Comment

I just ran sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces and my interfaces are named:

auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback

Shouldn't I have an eth0 listed?

Comment

Tried editing the interface to

auto eth0
          iface eth0 inet dhcp

and it made the network icon in the system tray turn red and grayed out my ability to hit "connect" when I added a wired connection.

I have reverted back to where I started and the network icon in the system tray is just spinning and the connection is stuck perpetually saying "setting network address"

Comment

See if you can try and create a new wired connection - on the networking widget, click the icon near the top right that should say "configure network connections" when highlighted. The connection editor will open, and you can try adding a new wired connection, leaving everything with the defaults. See if you can connect to that one. If it does work, you can delete the non-working one, and you will want to edit the new one and set it to "all users may connect", which you want if you ever need a connection up and running before you login in to a desktop.

Networkmanager does not use /etc/network/interfaces

Comment

Thanks for the help.

No luck with creating a new connection (tried this a number of times)

Here is my ethernet controller info:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Eth
              ernet Controller (rev 06)
              Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Motherboard
              Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- D
              isINTx+
              Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
              INTx-
              Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
              Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 31
              Region 0: I/O ports at b000 [size=256]
              Region 2: Memory at fe600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
              Region 4: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
              Capabilities: <access denied>
              Kernel driver in use: r8169

Comment

Have you read my post....had the exact same issue with that same driver. In my case it was a bad driver (or my PC just didn't like it) Is there a way for you to try a wifi connection? If not you might have to find the pkg for r8168 and do it manually. I have no idea how to do it manually though.

This helped me lots...
                http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2293272

Comment

Yeah, I was looking through your post, but wasn't sure if it would work for me because my pc doesn't have a wifi card.

I'll see if I can get the driver pkg manually, but not sure how at the moment (very new to this...). Appreciate the help

Comment

Search 'Realtek' and get and install r8168-dkms

ASSUMING you do need that other driver r8168-dkms, can you not get it through Muon Package Manager in 15.04?

my pc doesn't have a wifi card.
                    That doesn't matter, does it?
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                      So, how does Grayflag install anything, if no ethernet nor wi-fi?

Using another Vivid computer, Grayflag could apt-get download r8168-dkms to get the file
                      r8168-dkms_8.039.00-1_all.deb.
                      Or more likely, any other computer (or the same one running an OS that can talk to the internet) surf to http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/r/r8168/ and download that file from there, copy it (via memory stick, say) to the vivid install, then install it using sudo dpkg -i.

Now, I haven't done the above, I'm spouting theory, please if anyone has reservations about the above jump in.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

So, how does Grayflag install anything, if no ethernet nor wi-fi?
                        I wasn't thinking!
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post

ASSUMING you do need that other driver r8168-dkms, can you not get it through Muon Package Manager in 15.04?

The Software Center won't open. Is it supposed to with no internet connection?

Comment

Thanks, I'll try to dpkg manually

Comment

I actually used my cell phone get get a few things when my net was giving me issues. Downloaded from a windows pc, moved to phone storage, then moved to kubuntu computer. I didnt have a usb or a disk burner.

Comment

Working...
                              X