Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

andriod phone file transfer to kubuntu ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

andriod phone file transfer to kubuntu ...

Q. why does an android based phone not auto connect with a Kubuntu system for file/photo/video transfer

my old HTC legend with android 2.2 does but my wife’s new(ish) phone Samsung youth running the latest android does not on any Ubuntu based system
    and is not able to transfer any files/photos/video

after much reading and research i am forced to ask is there an answer so transfer of files by USB cable can be done to the system ...

just as an aside my youngest daughters phone (windows) and my eldest daughters phone (apple) both do ...
    Last edited by MrSteve; Aug 17, 2015, 09:56 AM.
    Hope this helps. Steve ...
    Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, except bad news.
    Shuttle XS35 - Intel Atom 1.6 - 4GB Ram - 500GB HDD - Linux Kubuntu

Older phones used to connect using msc (or whatever it is called) so they were basically seen as a hard drive.

Modern android devices only use MTP mode , or camera mode (ptp).

Some devices you can switch connection modes, one might work properly.

While mtp support in linux has been spotty in the past, I think that there are specific device quirks that hinder this as well. I also find that the cable used can hinder this, too.

I personally have had no problems with my last few phones, except when I grab the wrong cable.

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

i have tried different cables and also installed gMTP both still no connection for data transfer
      so i have ordered a set of bluetooth usb adapters which have been reviewed and stated they work in kubuntu
      will update this in a few days after they arrive many thanks, Steve ...

Comment

The phones are using a protocol called MTP from Microsoft, and support for it is flaky and the protocol is dumb (as in not smart) anyway.

I persevered with this a couple of years ago, and made it work, but I should have just installed Airdroid on my phone. Turns your phone into a web server, access it via your network. You already know how to use your web browser.
        If you've ever got a lot of text messages to send, or long ones, use your keyboard on the PC.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Although I have no problems connecting any of my phones to any of my K computers, I actually prefer to use AirDroid, the app @jlittle mentioned above. It's easy as can be, and gives you a nice graphical view of, and access to, all the files on your device. I highly recommend it.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

KDE Connect is a great tool for connecting your Kubuntu Desktop with an Android phone, via your wifi network. Just install the KDE Connect app from the Play Store ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....kdeconnect_tp ) and install on your desktop. You dont say what version of Kubuntu you are using but the from 15.04 onwards I think it is installed automatically. Just open up your system settings and go to KDE Connect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KDEConnect.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	643001

Make sure the Browse the remote device using SFTP is checked. Once you pair the phone to your desktop you can browse the file system from Dolphin
            Last edited by Guest; Aug 19, 2015, 03:54 AM.

Comment

thank you all for the advice on the other programs available but we both do not have google accounts so no access on the phones to the play store
              but will update this thread when the blue tooth dongles arrive, again many thanks ...

Comment

kde connect is available via f-droid.
                Bluetooth file transfers can be dog slow sometimes, kdeconnect uses wifi so it should be faster.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSteve View Post
                  thank you all for the advice on the other programs available but we both do not have google accounts so no access on the phones to the play store
                  I'm a little confused. We're talking about an Android phone, correct? How does it not have access to Google Play? Wasn't there an already-installed instance of it on the phone when you got it? How do you install apps without using the Play store? It has, by far, the largest repository of Android apps, so if you're not using it, you're missing out on a lot.
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

You can skip the Google account setup, but then you can't access Google play, etc. Some choose not to for privacy or socio-political reaons.

F-droid is an external third party app repo that hosts f/oss android apps.

Sent from my LG G4
                    Last edited by claydoh; Aug 20, 2015, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      You can skip the Google account setup, but then you can't access Google play, etc. Some choose not to for privacy or socio-political reaons.

F-droid is an external third party app repo that hosts f/oss android apps.
                      The problem with third party repos is that they *CAN* contain bad/dangerous apps. Personally, I never use anything but Google Play and Amazon AppStore.

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
                        Make sure the Browse the remote device using SFTP is checked. Once you pair the phone to your desktop you can browse the file system from Dolphin
                        Where in settings the SFTP should be checked?
                        Thanks!

Comment

ladies and gentlemen please let me explain
                          i purchased my phone about 5 years ago, it was at the time a bargain. my wife purchased her phone a few months ago again a bargain.

the operating system on the phones was never ever considered. its a phone.
                          we use the phones for the basics and that is all, no apps required. sorry for any upset ...
                          Last edited by MrSteve; Aug 22, 2015, 12:54 AM. Reason: accuracy

Comment

Actually, to get back on-topic, perhaps you could tell us what does happen when you plug in your phone via usb to Kubuntu. Do you get the Device Notifier in your system tray, or anything at all?

Could you paste the output of the lsusb command when it is plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by MrSteve View Post
                              i purchased my phone about 5 years ago, it was at the time a bargain. my wife purchased her phone a few months ago again a bargain.

the operating system on the phones was never ever considered. its a phone.
                              we use the phones for the basics and that is all, no apps required. sorry for any upset ...
                              No one's upset! You just piqued our interest--mine, anyway--as to how/why you're using Android phones WITHOUT indulging in the ridiculous plethora of great Android apps.

gentlemen please let me explain
                              PS We're not all gentlemen.

Comment

Working...
                              X