Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have Kubuntu 14.10 and 15.04 installed, dual-boot, in my PC.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Kubuntu 14.10 and 15.04 installed, dual-boot, in my PC.

Kubuntu 14.10 has been working well until recently, and the guys here at the forum got me straightened out. Thanks to them.

Nevertheless, although Kubuntu 15.04 has been advertised as stable, I still am unable to enjoy its use.

Each day I update, upgrade and confirm that no packages are broken. Shortly after those tasks are performed the system freezes.

This is the first time I have installed dual-boot with two versions of Kubuntu.

During the installation process, I only created one Linux swap area. I did this because both OS's use the same file system, so I assumed that they both could use the same swap area, since only one OS is being used at a time.

It occurs to me that each OS has a /home partition, its own OS partition, and a couple of drives that are used for special purposes that because of their like file systems probably can communicate regardless of what OS is being used.

I don't know this as the case, but if it is, it would seem that it might be confusing to the different versions due to the potential overlap of data. I realize that I am probably sounding pretty stupid right now, but I have a local friend who uses Kubuntu 15.04 pretty much problem free, and I can't seem to get it to work at all.

I am wondering if the fact that both versions have /home partitions and two additional drives, a 6GB/sTB drive and a 3GB/sTB drive, one for private storage and backups and the other for my movie collection with all but swap using ext4 file systems is the reason for my freeze problems in Kubuntu 15.04.

I am somewhat technically weak, and lack understanding. Perhaps one of you more knowledgeable users may understand how this configuration of partitions and drives can be negatively affected by the common file systems.

Kubuntu 14.10 seems to functioning without problems after increasing the size of my Root partition which became too full, so it seems that Kubuntu 15.04 is the only OS with freeze problems.

If this is the reason I am experiencing problems, is there a way to cure the problem, perhaps through using labels on the /home drives or perhaps capitalizing the "H" in /Home of one of them. Are mount points case sensitive? Thanks for any understanding you may provide.

By the way, Kubuntu 15.04 is a beautiful application and seems to run faster than Kubuntu 14.10. In fact the brief time prior to the system freeze the speed difference is noticeable. My system is quite fast, so I did not expect to experience much speed increase. It is a surprise I look forward to when the freezes are overcome. Thanks for any input to this problem.

Until someone better qualified comes along, I think I can safely tell you that two or more Linux installations will share the same swap partition by default, there won't be any overlap of information in this case. In your case 14.10 and 15.04 should each have a /home partition since many configurations will be different from one version to the other. If I understand your post, you have configured your partitioning as I suggest, so you should be in good shape and should have nothing to with the freezing you experience in Kubuntu 15.04. Someone else will have to help you with the actual freezing problem, but I hope this helps you relax a bit.
    Linux User #454271

Comment

Thanks notabug, I appreciate the reply. I have had a post in the Kubuntu 15.04 portion of the forum, but no one has either had the selfsame problem or the answer to the problem.

I have a friend whose daughter is using Kubuntu 15.04 in her laptop computer. Other than having several updates to keep it working that way, she claims to have a very stable and problem free Kubuntu 15.04 Operating System.

I am getting pretty old and don't think I have much time remaining. I just plain love computing and my Kubuntu system, and people like you who help me solve my problems. I put way more from my budget into my hardware, because I love it so much and will sacrifice most anything to stay near the cutting edge.

Kubuntu 15.04 is my favorite distribution, by far, from all previous versions of Kubuntu in the short period of time it operates before freezing. The aesthetics are top-notch, and the speed of operation is extraordinary.

My system is quite fast, so I did not expect noticeable speed increases and was surprised, because when 15.04 is running, it seems much faster than it's 14.10 predecessor. I am not really that worried, just disappointed. I feel time running out, and I want to experience at least one more stable version of Kubuntu

I am wondering if the combination of my particular items of hardware could be the problem. Additionally, since I do have two additional HDD's that can communicate freely with both OS's, if that might contain the reason for my 15.04 failures. I have a dedicate TB drive @ 6GBs that I store my backup copies for my movie collection called /movies, and a TB HDD @ 3GBs that is used for System Backups and encrypted personal stuff, which is identified as /svpersonal. Both only contain data and images, no application data, so I never thought that could be a problem. My hardware is as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
      Processor: AMD 8-core @ 4Ghz
      Memory: 32GB GSkill 1800 DDR3
      Graphics Card: 2GB XFX R7850

Since, when I am in the Kubuntu 14.10 distribution, my system seems to run stable, I have not given hardware much serious consideration as the potential problem, but no one responds to my posts, other than you about this issue, so I am left wondering daily. I appreciate your help in removing some of my concerns, I am just anxious to have a few days operational experience in 15.04. I want to experience as much cutting edge technology as able. Thanks for the input, my friend. Cudos

Originally posted by notabug View Post
      Until someone better qualified comes along, I think I can safely tell you that two or more Linux installations will share the same swap partition by default, there won't be any overlap of information in this case. In your case 14.10 and 15.04 should each have a /home partition since many configurations will be different from one version to the other. If I understand your post, you have configured your partitioning as I suggest, so you should be in good shape and should have nothing to with the freezing you experience in Kubuntu 15.04. Someone else will have to help you with the actual freezing problem, but I hope this helps you relax a bit.

Comment

My guess is that they maybe one or several processes hogging your system which might explain the slow down. Do you have htop installed on kubuntu 15.04? Or can you display the system monitor?

Comment

I don't usually install htop since ksysguard serves my needs, but I did install it today. How does one copy the results from either htop or ksysguard to be pasted here or elsewhere?

(Kubuntu 15.04)
          Linux User #454271

Comment

I installed htop and less than .05% memory was being used. Before I could open any other application, the system froze. It seems to freeze faster now. It also takes quite a while to boot up, at least a minute. Before usually 10 seconds was average for boot up. Thanks for sticking with me on this. Shab
            Originally posted by NickStone View Post
            My guess is that they maybe one or several processes hogging your system which might explain the slow down. Do you have htop installed on kubuntu 15.04? Or can you display the system monitor?

Comment

After I installed htop, it said that .05% memory was being used. Like I mentioned in my reply to Nick, the system froze faster this time. I could not even open another application before the system froze.

Originally posted by notabug View Post
              I don't usually install htop since ksysguard serves my needs, but I did install it today. How does one copy the results from either htop or ksysguard to be pasted here or elsewhere?

(Kubuntu 15.04)

Comment

I re-installed once before unsuccessfully. I re-installed Kubuntu 15.04 again today and it works great. Thanks for all attempts to help.

Comment

Working...
                X