This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde text-editor component could not be found

Hi I'm new to Kubuntu. I have been using Linux for many years and KDE is my desktop of preference. I just installed Kubuntu 14.04 and it came with KDE 4.13.3.

I installed Kate, went to run it and got "kde text-editor component could not be found". Okay, so something was missing. I purged it reinstalled and got the same message. Okay, so maybe it was just Kate, so I installed Kwrite. Same message. So, I searched on it and found others with the problem in various forums and versions of Linux and versions of KDE. It appears that the problem has been known for some time. I tried each of the solutions I found and so far nothing has worked. I came here hoping that there might be a specific fix under Kubuntu. Have searched the forum and have not found anything relevant.

So, I have to wonder is it just me? No one else here seems to have the problem, or I'm totally missing it. I suppose I could just install Gedit and be done, but since I'm running KDE I'd prefer to have Kate. Besides I'm used to it and have come to prefer it.

I'd appreciate any help or direction. If there is a forum post here that I'm missing, please point me to it. If I'm the only one having this problem I can give more information about hardware and such.

Thanks, for whatever guidance you can provide.

Why did you have to install Kate? It is part of a default Kubuntu install.
    You should also have libktexteditor4 and libkatepartinterfaces4 installed, one of these is likely missing, and is what is causing the error message.

If you had to install Kate, and that did not pull in the missing packages, then you might want to check your installation.....

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Why did you have to install Kate? It is part of a default Kubuntu install.
      You should also have libktexteditor4 and libkatepartinterfaces4 installed, one of these is likely missing, and is what is causing the error message.

If you had to install Kate, and that did not pull in the missing packages, then you might want to check your installation.....
      Thank you for your reply. Both libktexeditor4 and libkatepartinterfaces4 are installed.

I don't understand the suggestion to check my installation. How do I go about doing that?

And, just for clarity, I installed Kate because it was not installed by default when I installed Kubuntu. That did surprise me.

If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, that may mean that my installation is broken in some way. I'm early enough into this installation that I can reinstall if that's what it's going to take. If there is an easier fix I'd prefer to do that as everything else seems to be working. But, not having Kate is pretty much a deal breaker for me...

Comment

Make sure that the package kubuntu-desktop is installed, this is the one that pulls in all the kde/kubuntu related things, and make sure that your system is fully updated.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Make sure that the package kubuntu-desktop is installed, this is the one that pulls in all the kde/kubuntu related things, and make sure that your system is fully updated.
          Check and check. Kate and Kwrite still do not load. Still getting "kde text-editor component could not be found" whenever I try to run either. If I'm understanding you correctly this in not normal for a current installation of Kubuntu. It's beginning to look like I may need to install some other version of kde. Any other ideas about what may be wrong before I do that?

Comment

Okay, I solved the problem. Was pretty much at the point of just randomly trying things, so am not sure exactly what fixed it, but this is what I did; I completely uninstalled "Kate". Then I reinstalled "Kate-data". Then I reinstalled "Katepart". Then I installed "Kate". Then tried Kate again and it worked. I have no idea whether I needed to do all of these actions, just one, or some combination of two (2).

Thanks for your help Claydoh. Knowing that it should work with a normal installation of Kubuntu was enough to get me to keep trying rather than give up and install some other distribution. At this point, everything else seems to work. Yay!

Comment

Working...
            X