X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

skype in kubuntu

kubuntu 14.04 on Thinkpad x240.

I would like to use Skype also on my kubuntu machine but could not find Skype in the Muon Discoverer.

1 - How can I use Skype install and used Skype?
    2 - How can I use 2 Skype account (business and private) on my kubuntu machine?
    3 - Is is possible / is there an advantage using Empathy and access Skype accounts?

Thanks in advance for help.

Skype is in my 14.04.

1 Use your Muon Discover to search for/install Muon Package Manager.
    Skype will show up in Muon Package Manager, and you can install from there.

2 Two Skype accounts? Not real sure what you are trying to do, but I also use two Skype accounts. When I open Skype on my Desktop, its window offers a drop-down list where I choose the account I want to use for the session, then enter the PW for that account. I have not tried, however, to use both accounts at the same time (it appears I can not do that, not through the regular Skype windows offered here).

3 No idea about this--let others jump in to help w/Empathy.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi Qqmike,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I had a look at the Muon Package Manager but did not find Skype, only plugins. Categories set to: All

Click image for larger version

Name:	150221_12:30:16_Selection_001.png
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	642754

I inserted the screen shot but I am afraid it is too small and I don't know how to enlarge it.

I also found the command
      sudo apt-get install skypein (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...tu-4175445323/)

However, I don't want to distroy my installation by installing something, which is not listed in the Muon Discover or Muon Package Manager

Would you regard the given command as save?

sudo apt-get install skype
      2 accounts - This is very good news. In my current production machine (XP) I had some troubles to get 2 accounts running. Thus I will wait until Skype is installed on my kubuntu machine and follow your hint.

Comment

You will have to go and enable the Ubuntu Partner repository to get skype in your package manager. In Muon, look for Software Sources >>Other Software tab >> and check the Canonical Partners box. Once you close out of that, it should refresh your package lists and Skype should be available.

There is no real advantage to using empathy and skype - iirc you have to have Skype running in order to use that feature, which is sort of redundant for me. The only advantage I see is having all your IM text chats all in one place.

Comment

Thanks, claydoh, for coming to the rescue for 52ROSt
          (Edit: Strangely, for me this time, Canonical Partners was enabled by default on my recent 14.04 installation.)
          Last edited by Qqmike; Feb 21, 2015, 07:19 AM.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I just went to skype website and chose the Ubuntu 12.04 version and downloaded it from there and it installed with no problems.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. Skype is installed and runs.

Comment

Working...
              X