X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logical Volumes

Here's my problem (amongst many )

When I started playing around with Linux - a friend of mine setup a bunch of Logical Volumes for my ridiculous number of hard drives.

I since have upgraded to bigger, faster, stronger HDs but my old ones remain.

Sadly the old computer was butchered for parts leaving the old hard drives unlabelled and in disorder.

I wanted to access them and transfer the data off each one. Sadly if I connect a hard drive to my new desktop it doesn't recognise it as it part of a fractured LVM.

Can anybody help me salvage my old stuff?

Hope to hear from someone wise - and patient

Have you tried vgreduce to mount the LVM as --partial and with --remove-missing

You might read through this: https://www.novell.com/coolsolutions...anentlyRemoved

Please Read Me

Comment

Sounds like you use pvscan to get the old LVM UUID then create a new LVM using the old UUID, then restore it and run a file check.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Sounds like you use pvscan to get the old LVM UUID then create a new LVM using the old UUID, then restore it and run a file check.
        So there's no way of accessing what's on each hard drive without reassembling an LVM?

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Have you tried vgreduce to mount the LVM as --partial and with --remove-missing

You might read through this: https://www.novell.com/coolsolutions...anentlyRemoved
          This sounds promising! I'm a serious newbie though. Hope I can understand the instructions...

Comment

Thanks for replying oshunluvr!

Comment

Working...
            X