This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libre Office Math Formula Editor make equation for doc

Using Libre Office Math Formula Editor to make equation to insert into document.

If you do not have LO and or do not have LO math formula editor, you will, of course, have to install them.

kicker / applications / education / math / formula editor.

Explanation of need:

I try to use the "horizontal divisor line" in place of the diagonal when lecturing, etc. in class so that things like "the units" can be easily written.

It seems to me that it easier for the students to visualize "cancellations" using the "over and below the horizontal divisor line" format in complex things like stoichometry.

To that end, I spend the first three weeks doing all of the math in the course and start out with the simple equation D = M / V and do three variations of density demonstrations and in class activities.

FOR THE TRIVIAL CASE above:

Open the formula editor and in the bottom panel type: D=

One sees that it appears in the centre of the screen.

In the left middle equation format box choose the "box over horizontal box" editor and it will appear alongside the D= in the lower panel. There will be two bracketed operators with a divisor sign between them. Type M into the left brackets and it appears, type V into the right brackets and it appears.

I have not found an easier way to do this but,

Export the formula to .pdf with an appropriate title.

Open the .pdf with Okular and the upper menu offers the option to select an area in the document.

Select an area around the formula and one is automagically presented with several options.

If one saves "as text" then one gets the diagonal line.

If one saves as .jpg, .png, then one gets an image saved into documents.

One can then insert the image into LO or Calligra or whatever, drag to position, resize etc.

If anyone has questions or a "tip" such as how to directly export or save an img file then please so post.

woodsmoke

P.S. Yes I use Calligra and it has a formula editor function, but I just find it to be.... "cludzy", Given that the forumla editor did not even function well just a few years ago, that is a HUGE improvement and I look forward to being able to easily do this in Calligra,

Going to give you a helping hand here.

Download TexMaths, a LaTeX equation editor for LibreOffice. Follow the instructions for Installing Extensions. When it's finished installing, and while still in the installation window, click on Check for updates, ans there is one. It will install, and maybe then crash (did here). Just relaunch Libre Office Writer and you will have what you desire. Likely you will be doing the for a LONG time.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have the maths but did not know THAT!! thanks!! snoopy happy dance here!

you .......are ...........da man!!

woodappreciativesmoke

Comment

Working...
      X