This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD-R and Kubuntu

Someime ago I downloaded Kubuntu 12.04.4 LTS (DVD-R) and installed the OS. I upgraded online to 14.04 (took a while).

Recently, I thought that it might be a good idea to have the latest Kubuntu iso on the DVD-R, just in case it is needed.

On inserting the DVD-R into the tray, the light flashed a few times but nothing happened on screen.

I opened Dolphin and the DVD drive is not recognised (there but giving zero), but in Disks I see the drive and it notes about 8ooMB used. This is probably the iso file, The full capacity of the disk 4.7GB is not noted.

How can I get the DVD to run properly so I can download and store the latest kubuntu,iso file?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Well for one thing, a DVD-R is a write once media. Once you have written something to a DVD-R disk you cannot then overwrite it later. You need a DVD-RW disk for that. Or simply use a brand new DVD-R that has yet to be burned to.

Comment

They can be appended
      I am not interested in overwriting a file, but storing another file. There is plenty of space.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
        They can be appended
        I am not interested in overwriting a file, but storing another file. There is plenty of space.
        It only works if the DVD-R has not been finalised, it sounds like in your case it has. But good luck in trying to re-open the disk.

Like I said earlier, if you want to rewrite to a DVD you should be using DVD-RW's

Comment

it's called "multisession"moad ,,,,,if you burn the disk like this you can go back and add more files ,,, in K3b it looks like this

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thank you for responding.

I think it should be appendable. I cant't view the file in Dolphin!

I am not familiar with k3b, but I have opened the programme, and taken a snapshot.

Let me know what you think.

Best wishes

Click image for larger version

Name:	k3b.png
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	642716

Comment

it dose say "appendable" ...........but how did you make it , with what program and was it "burn an image" , is it a bootable disk ,,,,,,,what happens if you try to add data/image ?

something is wrong if you cant open it in dolphin , even a bootable image burn is usually readable .

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I made the disk sometime ago, probably when I was using a live CD. I can't remember which programme I used to burn the iso file. In addition, I can't remember if I burned or copied the image. It should not be bootable. I have not tried to add any files, But, at a later date, I may try to download the latest Kubuntu iso .

I put another CD in the drive, and it read without a problem.

On re-inserting the DVD-R it was read and opened, In Dolphin it showed no files (blank disk), It should have the iso file on the disk.

I closed Dolphin and pressed the button on the DVD drive and the disk exited.

I re-inserted the disk and again it opened, but did not show any files in Dolphin.

This time I ejected the disk suing the USB icon eject process. The disk ejected, but after I received a crash report.

Best wishes

Comment

Working...
                X