X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truecrypt

I have a Truecrypt setup file

When I click on it a terminal opens that gives options, including installation. However, no information regarding installation site, etc is given.

My concern is that if I install the programme and then decide at a later date to uninstall it how would I be able to do this?

Thanks

Ps. The options in terminal give:

TrueCrypt 7.1a Setup

Installation options:

1) Install truecrypt_7.1a_i386.tar.gz
    2) Extract package file truecrypt_7.1a_i386.tar.gz and place it to /tmp

To select, enter 1 or 2:
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

If you extract the archive file you downloaded, there likely are readme files in there that tell you how to do this

Probably this
    sudo /usr/bin/truecrypt-uninstall.sh

Comment

TrueCrypt is no longer trustworthy: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?65639

CipherShed is a new project that's attempting to bring the code up to modern quality and fix many of the problems found in the code audit. An alpha build was released a couple months ago. No activity since then.

Comment

I have noticed that some people take the view that Truecrypt is not trustworthy, however some are not concerned. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I have also found a site that discusses VeraCrypt that seem to be Truecrypt but with additional safefuards. I like the look of the programme and have posted a couple of questions to their site.

I await responses.

Best wishes.

Happy Christmas to you both
        kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

I am not so silly to attempt a discussion about security with Steve but my impression is that Truecrypt is plenty secure enough to keep your documents safe from nosy colleagues, family members and casual passers by.
          It still has the distinction of working on Mac, Windows and Linux.

As claydoh wrote truecrypt does include an uninstall script but even without this, because Linux doesn't have a Registry the finding (search) and removing of the binaries and configuration files is usually enough to get rid of an application.

Code:
          rm -f /usr/bin/truecrypt
          rm -f /usr/share/truecrypt/doc/License.txt
          rm -f '/usr/share/truecrypt/doc/TrueCrypt User Guide.pdf'
          rm -f /usr/share/applications/truecrypt.desktop
          rm -f /usr/share/pixmaps/truecrypt.xpm
          rmdir /usr/share/truecrypt/doc /usr/share/truecrypt

echo TrueCrypt uninstalled.
          rm -f /usr/bin/truecrypt-uninstall.sh

Comment

What gives me pause about TrueCrypt is how it suddenly completely disappeared. Even though no strong evidence can be found, the warrant canary theory (mentioned in the thread I linked to previously) seems the most plausible. TrueCrypt may indeed be very good technology -- despite what the audit uncovered regarding the quality of the code. But if the cryptography has also somehow been cracked, then it would be dangerous to rely on TrueCrypt.

Comment

Yeah, I also lean towards the canary theory.
              And that's why I still trust it for private use because I'm not attempting to avoid the three letter agencies anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X