Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"SuperbWallpapers" Icon. How do I remove it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"SuperbWallpapers" Icon. How do I remove it?

Kubuntu 14.04, KDE 4.13.2, AMD 8-core, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 2GB DDR5 VidCard, SSD, 6GBs HDD, 2ea. DDRW 27" ViewSonic 24" ASUS

I would prefer removal of the unwanted Icon, however being able to relocate it would be acceptable.

I locate my StartPanel on the upper-screen. I have a transparent background for the panel. The unwanted Icon is in the upper-right corner of the desktop and disrupts the view of the StartMenu dropdown of the StartPanel. The creator of the Icon refuses to allow removal. Even removal of the wallpaper that was downloaded does not remove the unwanted Icon.

How do I locate the instruction to place this Icon, so that I can edit and remove it? In my situation it is like a virus. It makes me so angry that I will never use any of their wallpapers, in fact, they include the wallpaper that I downloaded as though they made the wallpaper. They downloaded the image that I wanted too and are not it's creator. I made the mistake of copying it from their site. This is a Windows type trick that they are getting away with. Surely the person with the talent to correct this intrusion can see the need to circumvent their viral icon. Thanks!

It isn't an icon. It's part of the wallpaper image -- a 'branding' of the site that the wallpaper was provided from.

Which wallpaper did you download, and at what resolution? I'll see if I can clean it up for you.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wallpaper watermarks from "wallpaper" websites really burn my bottom!

Here is a trick I learned to avoid that. 99% of the time this works, and there is a high chance you will also get the resolution you want.

Whenever you notice that a wallpaper site has watermarked an image, open another tab, go to Google Images. Go back to the original tab, click and hold the thumbnail image, drag to the Google Images tab, wait for the browser to switch tabs, then drag to the Images search box and drop it. Google will instantly search for it. Now click on the link "All sizes" and you should have a jackpot of choices.

Sometimes a website shows an image in it's normal state but when you download it, a watermark appears. I usually always check my downloads on new sites to see if this trick has happened. And as a suggestion Wallbase is a really great site. I have no association with them, but do use them heavily. Be aware though that some papers were uploaded with watermarks on that site.

No more watermarks or photo editing if you find great sites and use Google Images.
      Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Comment

Superb Wallpapers 1920x1080. If you are able to help me, this will be a major help. It screws up the aesthetics of my desktop to make it difficult to use, as well as, look bad. I have seen and been able to download the image in the past, apparently from a different source. When I contacted SuperbWallpapers, they refused any changes, even when I explained my unique situation.

I have been using my StartBar on the top for about 20 years with the Start Menu on the right side of the screen. Moving it elsewhere would not only be detracting from my reason for locating it there, it would screw up long learned hand/eye coordination. For me it was a logical decision years ago. Things do not drop up, they drop down, and people who are Right-Handed usually park, look for, and use things on their right. 20 years use has made it automatic for me.

I really do not understand their insistence on forcing this issue. It creates such ill will with those who don't want it that never using them again is the only choice for any sensible person. In fact, I have become so frustrated with the matter, I came to a point of removal of Kubuntu 14.04 and re-installation. I did not want to do that for obvious reasons, but the problem is so invasive that if we do not succeed in it's removal, I will re-install. Thanks so very much, my friend.

I have been fighting to solve this problem, every day (at least a little bit) since it first appeared with the upgrade to the new version of Kubuntu.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        It isn't an icon. It's part of the wallpaper image -- a 'branding' of the site that the wallpaper was provided from.

Which wallpaper did you download, and at what resolution? I'll see if I can clean it up for you.

Comment

Superb Wallpapers is the site. 1920x1080 is the resolution you have for your monitor. Which wallpaper did you download? Category and image number?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Digital Art is the category, #: 4966. Can not thank you enough.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Superb Wallpapers is the site. 1920x1080 is the resolution you have for your monitor. Which wallpaper did you download? Category and image number?

Comment

I opened a second browser to a separate monitor. When I clicked on the Superb Wallpapers Icon to attempt dragging it to Google Images, it would not drag. Thanks for the attempt to help.

Originally posted by citizen View Post
              Wallpaper watermarks from "wallpaper" websites really burn my bottom!

Here is a trick I learned to avoid that. 99% of the time this works, and there is a high chance you will also get the resolution you want.

Whenever you notice that a wallpaper site has watermarked an image, open another tab, go to Google Images. Go back to the original tab, click and hold the thumbnail image, drag to the Google Images tab, wait for the browser to switch tabs, then drag to the Images search box and drop it. Google will instantly search for it. Now click on the link "All sizes" and you should have a jackpot of choices.

Sometimes a website shows an image in it's normal state but when you download it, a watermark appears. I usually always check my downloads on new sites to see if this trick has happened. And as a suggestion Wallbase is a really great site. I have no association with them, but do use them heavily. Be aware though that some papers were uploaded with watermarks on that site.

No more watermarks or photo editing if you find great sites and use Google Images.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                I opened a second browser to a separate monitor. When I clicked on the Superb Wallpapers Icon to attempt dragging it to Google Images, it would not drag. Thanks for the attempt to help.
                Sorry I was unclear, I meant if you were at the Superb Wallpaper website, before you downloaded the wallpaper, you could drag the image from their website, not the one you already have installed. Sorry that was confusing. But it sounds like snowhog is going to help you out. That's really nice of him.

Comment

Thanks for your input. During a dialog with the owner of the Wallpaper site, he explained the very thing you have entered. I removed the wallpaper with the watermark and went to an alternate site that did not include same. I am so happy and so grateful for your and his help.

I am only disappointed in myself. Because it took so long to repair, I was reminded daily, over and over, how much I did not like the watermark as it interferred with the normal operating of my computer and was always in a growing state of frustration and anger.

Thanks for your kind help.

It wasn't really his fault either, for he was just including attractive wallpaper to his site. Apparently he downloads some images that include watermarks. I hope I did not cause his website and problems because of my rhetoric.

Strange that such a simple thing can be such a weight on daily life. Cudos friend.

Originally posted by citizen View Post
                  Sorry I was unclear, I meant if you were at the Superb Wallpaper website, before you downloaded the wallpaper, you could drag the image from their website, not the one you already have installed. Sorry that was confusing. But it sounds like snowhog is going to help you out. That's really nice of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                    Strange that such a simple thing can be such a weight on daily life. Cudos friend.
                    I am so glad you got it cleared up. I completely understand. I also have my menu on the top of the screen, with autohide enabled. I have 6 desktops, so I have hundreds of wallpapers that I change often. I also have an additional menu on the bottom of my screen that has the most used program icons, also with autohide enabled.

I love Kubuntu because you can customize however you want. Dolphin has all the panels on the right. And I found a Firefox extension that moves the Bookmarks & History to the right as well. It just seems easier to have some things on the right side of the screen.

Comment

Working...
                    X