X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup disables external HDD

G'day folks

System Information as requested of posters to this forum:

Dell Dimension 4600i desktop dual booting WinXP and Kubuntu 14.04, KDE 4.13.0, 320GB internal HDD, comprising WinXP 30GB, Data 239GB (both NTFS), 22GB ext4 Kubuntu 14.04, 3GB Linux swap. CPU Intel 2.6GHz P4 with hyperthreading (makes it look dual core in System Monitors, but I doubt it), 32 bit, 1.5GB RAM, 2 x optical drives.

I was trying to use Backup (installed from Ubuntu Software Centre) to make a backup of my NTFS data partition to a 2TB Seagate USB 2 external HDD (also NTFS). The backup failed early in the process, with a message I didn't save, but which mentioned something about a .tmp file that did not exist. The HDD was then not visible on Dolphin, although 2 other external drives still were, along with the internal drives. I rebooted to get the drive to show again, which it did in the side list, but would not mount, with the message below appearing in Dolphin:

An error occurredwhile accessing 'Expansion Drive', the system responded: Therequested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at/media/frankadmin/Expansion Drive: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs"-o"uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,d mask=0077,fmask=0177""/dev/sdb1" "/media/frankadmin/Expansion Drive"'exited with non-zero exit status 13: $MFTMirr does not match $MFT(record 0). Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error NTFS iseither inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's aSoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f onWindows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameteris very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then firstactivate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the'dmraid' documentation for more details.

The KDE Partition manager sees the drive, but unmounted, and with an NTFS file system, but as empty (all 1.8TB available). GParted also sees it as unmounted, does not comment on availabile space, and has similar error message suggestion of fixing in Windows with chkdsk /f.

I shut down, disconnected all external drives, booted into WinXP, ignored its suggestion to check the data drive, and confirmed WinXP could see and read the files in the data drive. Connected the 2TB external HDD, and it was able to be seen and read by WinXP as well. I ran the disk check via tools on both drives, without selecting fix, or missing sectors, and both checks completed successfully (with no output/result showing; presumably OK?). Booted back into Kubuntu, and no change; 2TB drive can't be mounted.

The 2TB external HDD has a lot of other backups on it, so I am reluctant to mess around too much with it, particularly as Windows doesn't seem to think anything is wrong with it.

My question is about what might be making Kubuntu think the drive is not mountable/readable, how can this be fixed, and what might be the best backup solution for my needs? I see that Luckbackup and Back in Time seem to rate well, but are not supported by Canonical.

Any suggestions/advice gratefully received.

Cheers

G'day again, folks

Looks like the drive has come good, for no apparent reason I can identify. This morning I booted up into WinXP partition again, again declining the strong recommendation to allow a disk check on my internal data drive, and ran the disk check through Tools again, also again not selecting fix errors or recover lost sectors options, and it again completed successfully, I then safely removed the external drive, and plugged it into another machine (laptop) running Kubuntu 14.04, administrator level account only, and it was mounted and read normally.

Assuming it may have something to do with different account types, I safely removed the drive from the laptop and plugged it back into the original desktop, now booted into Kubuntu 14.04, but administrator account. Again it all worked fine.

However, rebooting into the user level account I normally use, and in which I had attempted to set up Backup in the first place, the drive is now working normally. Go figure!!

So, now my questions are tweaked slightly. I still want to know what would be the best backup software for manual local backup of my (at this stage) NTFS data partition to an external NTFS HDD, and if there are any considerations re using an everyday user level account instead of the administrator account. The Home folders of the account would be included in the backup, to ensure any recent downloads or files saved prior to sending them to the data drive are not missed.

Cheers
    Last edited by frankus333; Jun 12, 2014, 09:53 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

BTW: This page seems unable to accept my reply posts first time around. It always tells me I do not have permission, and to refresh the page and log in. If the auto save has not kept up, my post is lost; very frustrating. I have resorted to copying the post before I hit Post Quick Reply, but this should not be necessary.

Have others experienced this; am I doing something wrongly?

Cheers

Comment

You need to set your browser to accept cookies from www.kubuntuforums.net. Otherwise, there is a 15-minute inactivity timer that logs you out and you must log back in.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          You need to set your browser to accept cookies from www.kubuntuforums.net. Otherwise, there is a 15-minute inactivity timer that logs you out and you must log back in.
          Thanks Snowhog

I am using Google Chrome with default to accept cookies, and I am also pretty sure the error has occurred inside the 15 minute mark. I will have to continue to copy and save as I go.

Cheers

Comment

Forgot this. When you log in, make sure you check the Remember Me? box. That is what, along with allowing cookies, will keep you logged in to the forum.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Forgot this. When you log in, make sure you check the Remember Me? box. That is what, along with allowing cookies, will keep you logged in to the forum.
              Thanks Snowhog; I'll give that a go in future.

Comment

G'day folks

Not sure if this request has been buried in the above;

I still want to know what would be the best backup software for manual local backup of my (at this stage) NTFS data partition to an external NTFS HDD, and if there are any considerations re using an everyday user level account instead of the administrator account. Some of the Home folders of the account would be included in the backup, to ensure any recent downloads or files saved prior to sending them to the data drive are not missed.

Any comments/suggestions/recommendations gratefully received.

[EDIT: See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-Kubuntu-14-04 for followup of this question re backup solution.]
                Last edited by frankus333; Aug 05, 2014, 11:22 PM. Reason: Abandoned thread

Comment

Working...
                X