X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backup of main personal settings

[BLinux - Kubuntu 14.04, 64-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic,
    4 x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 645 Processor Memory 7.8 GiB[/B]

Am using KBackup frequently for all my /home files. I wish to include all my other key personal settings.
    Would like to know their locations.
    My reason is to be able to recover them in case of a system crash. I've had a couple recently & want to be prepared if it should happen again.

All your personal settings will be contained in your /home/<user> directory. Only if you have done some system-level customization in any thing in your /etc, /boot/grub, or some other directory outside your Home would you have to add other things to your backup list.

Comment

Thanks - but what are "some other directory outside your Home" specifically?

Comment

That would depend on you: anything you may have edited manually in any folder outside of /home/<username> to customize or to fix a unique problem.
        This is not likely for the vast majority of users, and the locations could be anywhere, but you would know, because you would have done this yourself

So to keep it simple and to the point, just back up your /home/<username> for each user account you may have.

A good thing to do in tandem with good backups is to keep /home on its own partition, so if you have to start over, you just tell the installer that this particular one is to be used as /home. Then you don't have to recover your personal settings at all, most of the time. This can take a few extra steps initially, but is well worth it.

Comment

Working...
        X