Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had to install Thunderbird but linking from an email doesn't work.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to install Thunderbird but linking from an email doesn't work.

When an email suggests I follow a link and I attempt to do so, a window opens for me to choose an application. None of the choices apply and no browser is included in the choice. Does anyone have an idea how to refer to an application that can perform the move? Thanks!

Hello,
    I'm not sure because I don't use thunderbird but did you try to set it in :
    System Settings / Default Application
    ?

Regards

Comment

Not yet, didn't think of that. If that works, I will post again so others can learn from your instruction. Thanks either way.
      Originally posted by Shaika-Dzari View Post
      Hello,
      I'm not sure because I don't use thunderbird but did you try to set it in :
      System Settings / Default Application
      ?

Regards

Comment

Shaika-Dzari,

I tried you recommendation. It did not work, however I wrote down the name of the folder that opened: Launch Application
        This link needs to be opened with an application.
        Send to:
        Choose an Application Choose...

I clicked on choose and got this:

Another Application (The title of the window)

Recently Used (The folder)

The contents are screen shots I have taken and nothing else. There are no applications showing. I would have expected a list of the browsers installed on my computer.

Comment

I checked my notes, and when setting this up for 12.04 I simply did the following. It worked so that a link in T-Bird opens Firefox browser:

In Firefox:
          Edit > Preferences > Advanced, Check to see that Firefox is default browser.

And Check
          K> Computer > System Settings > Default Applications
          thunderbird %u (browse to it under Internet)
          Last edited by Qqmike; May 19, 2014, 04:02 PM.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

And this:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Sometimes this is so fun that I almost cannot handle it. It takes time, and isn't easy, but you can force information into a rock. You just proved it. Over and over and over, I attempted to complete your instruction. And for a while, I thought the firefox %u or firefox %U was the problem, and perhaps it was, because when it finally worked, it wasn't when I was making the added text, I had closed everything and opened Firefox. On the screen came a "Do you want to make Firefox your default Browser" and I clicked yes. Then I thought, maybe that finally set the instruction and I went to my Thunderbird application and tried a link from an email.

This when I broke out in laughter, it opened in Firefox, like I wanted.

Would this have worked if I had wanted Rekonq as my default? I actually prefer Firefox as a browser, primarily because I prefer having a Menubar at the top of my browser, but in one of my daily emails is a link, and when it opens in Firefox, the text configuration is screwed up and it is not in Rekonq. Since it is a daily event, I guess if I was able, I would like the link I have been fighting to get to work to open the site in Rekonq rather than Firefox. Nevertheless, because I can actually link to a browser, I can just work both browsers to solve that need. A bit confusing I suspect, but what has ever been easy with my problems lol. Thank you, my friend. I was happier that I found success than I was that it actually worked. I can't stop laughing.
              It was the link you showed here that made me change the %u to %U, and I am not sure if that was the thing that changed things. In any event, would rekonq %U have sent links to Rekonq? You guys are amazing.

Comment

... and for me, just the %u (lower case) works.
                :-)

Comment

Working...
                X