X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knotes problem

My System: Linux - Kubuntu 14.04, 64-bit, 3.13.0-24-generic,
    4 x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 645 Processor Memory 7.8 GiB

After upgrading Kubuntu 13.10 to v14.10, knotes-2 won't activate. Tried uninstall/reinstall,changing permissions etc still won't activate.
    This had been working perfectly before upgrade.
    Any suggestions?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	knotes.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	648177

Sorry, not at my PC, so ...

'knotes-2' IS that the actual name of the new executable? If it is, then the desktop file in your user /home directory is likely the cause, as given the error, it is looking for /usr/bin/knotes not /usr/bin/knotes-2. Edit the knotes desktop file and verify the executable path/file name.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The file name is I downloaded & installed is knotes-2
      /usr/bin/knotes is the only file listed – not knotes-2
      When trying to start, this message appears:

Name:	knotes-2.png
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	640757

Name:	knotes-2_Settings.png
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	640758

Cannot find the knotes desktop file.
      Am at a loss as to what is going on here!

Comment

Change the Command line to: knotes

Save and close and then try.

Comment

It tries to open, then quits
          Unable to remove Knotes (or anything else), either from Muon Discover, or Muon Package Manager – both show Click image for larger version

Name:	MuonDiscover-Remove.png
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	640759
          but no further action occurs.

This has occurred since I upgraded to Kubuntu 14.04. Would reinstalling be an option & if so what command should I use?
          Currently my system is acting very strangely
          Last edited by Bumpalot; May 02, 2014, 10:55 AM. Reason: add more info & updating

Comment

Brrrrrrr!!
            I never used Knotes but hey, I'm willing to try
            So in a Konsole I typed knotes and hit enter...

Resulting in hundreds of lines of code, many errors involving Akonadi and my 8GB of RAM being consumed in minutes.

The only way to stop the onslaught was to kill Akonadi_control.

But yes, starting from the CLI does give more insight

Comment

Prior to the 14.04 upgrade it worked flawlessly. Any recommendations, or do I dump it?

Comment

I guess the problems are due to the present Akonadi/strigi/baloo transition and the problems could be solved during a next (1 day till 1 year) update...

Because you did not get the memory overflow problems I just had you could try this start from the CLI and see if there is a useful error.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion! Am at a loss as to how to implement your suggestion of "start from the CLI". Please explain the steps.

Have discovered the latest knotes version (2014-05-04 07:35 am)
                  https://projects.kde.org/projects/kd...b3/show/knotes

Not sure if I can manage this! What's your take on this?
                  Last edited by Bumpalot; May 04, 2014, 06:47 AM. Reason: added more info

Comment

Sorry, CLI stands for Command Line Interface.

So you get into the Kick Off menu and find and open Konsole.
                    In it you type knotes, press Enter and observe.

If everything goes fine you see a few lines of code and the application starts up, if things go wrong you can copy and paste the errors here.

I would not download the latest knotes as the installaion is non-trivial, it's better to wait for it to appear as a regular update.

Comment

Code:
                      bumpy@bumpyputer:~$ knotes
                      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                      bumpy@bumpyputer:~$

Comment

By choice I don't have Akonadi running so can't install any Akonadi dependent programs, like kjots. gnote also has a problem in that highlighting no longer works.
                        I uninstalled gnote and installed noblenote which works perfectly for my simple (non-sticky) needs.

Comment

I've discovered, here, that if Kontact/KMail is running, launching KNotes from either the CLI or from the K Menu does not 'work as expected'. Here, it takes me to Kontact/KMail but that's all. No notes are opened.

Then I closed Kontact/KMail and launched KNotes from both the CLI and the K Menu, and in both cases, KNotes launched normally. I'm thinking we have a bug here.

Added:
                          With KNotes launched (Kontact/KMail not running), it's icon is placed in the System Tray (as expected). Now, when Kontact/KMail is launched, the Popup Notes in Kontact/KMail doesn't function; clicking on the icon does nothing.

Added:
                          As I suspected, if I quit KNotes (right-click the icon in System Tray and click Quit) Popup Notes in Kontact/KMail becomes functional. AND, if I then launch KNotes, it misbehaves, only directing me to my running Kontact/KMail. No icon for it appears in the System Tray.

This must be a bug.
                          Last edited by Snowhog; May 04, 2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

OK - will wait for the bugs to be fixed . Thanks for sticking with my post!

Comment

Bug filed: Bug 334345 - KNotes fails to run if Kontact/KMail is already running

Comment

Working...
                              X