Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual boot w/ fat32 - can't access data with winXP that was written with kubuntu

Hello world

Done a clean install of first windows having the whole first drive partitioned as ntfs and the second left unpartitioned. Then installed kubuntu. While installing, I partitioned the drive, so that it now looks like this:

WindowsXP: ntfs: 50Gig | kubuntu: ext3: 49Gig | Swap: 1Gig | Extended: Fat32: 200Gig

The second drive (also 300Gig) I formatted to be Fat32

Now the problem. I started getting all my backups from my old hdds onto the second hd's fat32 partition and wanted to use that within windows to restore my old system. But when I open up the drive in windows, its completely empty. Also, the other Fat32 Partition is not shown at all.

Is it a problem that I used an extended layer for the first fat32?

Also, when partitioning, it went rather strange:
    The first try, I resized the Windows ntfs and added the ext3 after it. But this turned up an extra free space (of a couple of mbytes) between them. Thus, I could only add one more thing (max of four partitions). So when I added the Swap, I couldn't go on to add the fat32.

So what I did was to first partition the ntfs, then add everything from back to front - Starting with the fat32 (this time on an extended layer, just to be sure), then the linux swap before it, then the ext3 before that. There is still that free space left, so technically its more than four partitions. But I didn't think that this could be a problem.

Any ideas?

Re: dual boot w/ fat32 - can't access data with winXP that was written with kub

Ok, seems as if I got it the wrong way round in that post.

The extended fat32 200gig partition is recognized and shared, but the second hd is not. Windows just shows it in the partition management as not formatted...

Comment

Working...
    X