Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has google search slowed down or is my OS having problems?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has google search slowed down or is my OS having problems?

I have a new build. It is very fast with lots of memory and 8 cores to my processor. Additionally, I am now running Kubuntu 13.04, so I can not be sure my problem is not beta related, but with 16GB of DDR3 1866 RAM, and an 8 core processor, everything updated and upgraded, it takes forever for a site to ope in any of my browsers. Additionally, my mouse slows from time to time. I keep wondering if it relates to nepomuk, but don't know to check that. I do know that I allow 1GB of memory dedicated to Nepomuk, so I can't figure out why my roaring fast computer is so sluggish. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ctrl+Esc and look at what's eating resources. What GPU do you have? Which drivers?

Comment

Hi,
      I have had a very similar problem with Kubuntu when I installed it. All the transitions were slow and the mouse was too slow to use. The problem got solved when I installed a driver for my GPU (AMD Radeon 7****) I was able to do that by going to System>Additional Drivers in the Applications lens. I do not know what GPU you are using nor do I know if the Additional Drivers app finds drivers for the GPU you are using so you might have to go to the GPU providers website and download a driver for there.
      I hope this helps.
      Good Luck,

Comment

Very intense Icon, by the way.

When I press Ctrl + Esc, nothing happens. As far as my computer is concerned, contents are as follows:

AMD 8350 Eight-Core, currently at 4.2MHz
        16GB DDR3 RAM 1866
        2GB DDR5 XFX R7850 double dissipation Video Card
        256GB SSD for the OS (Kubuntu 13.04)
        TB HDD @ 6GB/s for /home
        TB HDD @ 3GB/s for other stuff
        2ea DVDRW's SATA

I am not sure where or how to get the driver info, nor what to do with the information. I believe they are the most recent, though.
        Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
        Ctrl+Esc and look at what's eating resources. What GPU do you have? Which drivers?

I have allocated 1GB to Nepomuk, hoping to satisfy its hunger. I am not doing anything labor-intensive when the problem occurrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
          When I press Ctrl + Esc, nothing happens.

Well thats weird. And not good.

Try running a konsole (Alt-F2, konsole). In konsole enter the "top" cmd, that will show if anything is hogging the CPU.

htop is even better, but its not installed by default. From the konsole

Code:
          sudo apt-get install htop
          htop

Comment

My GPU is a 2GB XFX R7850 dual dissipation w/DDR5 RAM. I will have to use the computer a while to confirm success, so I am not going to mark this post as 'Solved' yet, but it looks and works great so far. Thank you, my friend.
            Originally posted by dachckom View Post
            Hi,
            I have had a very similar problem with Kubuntu when I installed it. All the transitions were slow and the mouse was too slow to use. The problem got solved when I installed a driver for my GPU (AMD Radeon 7****) I was able to do that by going to System>Additional Drivers in the Applications lens. I do not know what GPU you are using nor do I know if the Additional Drivers app finds drivers for the GPU you are using so you might have to go to the GPU providers website and download a driver for there.
            I hope this helps.
            Good Luck,

Comment

That's a nice application, thanks! Less than 2% CPU usage right now. I think Dachckom has the right answer, but I will have to let the compter run for a while to be sure. In any event it is working great right now. Thanks for the tip on htop; it is a nice utility. Additionally, prior to posting as 'Solved', if the problem returns, I will take an htop reading and locate the heavy usage, In any event, I really appreciate your taking the time to help.
              Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
              Well thats weird. And not good.

Try running a konsole (Alt-F2, konsole). In konsole enter the "top" cmd, that will show if anything is hogging the CPU.

htop is even better, but its not installed by default. From the konsole

Code:
              sudo apt-get install htop
              htop

Comment

You're welcome!
                I'm glad I could help!

Comment

No worries, glad its all worked out.

Comment

Working...
                  X