Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Screen when i try to 'Start Kubuntu' from UEFI grub [idem for oem, and repair]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Screen when i try to 'Start Kubuntu' from UEFI grub [idem for oem, and repair]

Good morning,
    this is the first time i try tu use kubuntu (already used ubuntu).
    (From ITALY, sorry for my eng)

Tho day ago i received my new ultrabook : Asus S56CM

-downloaded kubuntu 64bit
    -prepared usb with unetbootin
    -press start (pc pc button)
    -press esc to get boot selection screen
    -selected second of two option ( uefi:win8 uefi:usb)
    -grub run and i see usually screen with 3 entries: Start Kubuntu, Oem Installation, Repair disk

i tried able/disable fast boot, able/disable secure aes command encription mode, i try all combinations of bios setup
    but every times when i press ENTER on every GRUB choice my notebook get a black screen and not do anytingh
    (the red usb light only stay in turn on state)
    Last edited by D3cedut0; Apr 14, 2013, 03:34 AM. Reason: solved

ok resolved, there was only an "hidden" secure boot option enabled (in the security menu on bios)

Comment

OK An other problem, the installation of grub-efi fails everytime... i've tried the automatic installation, but failed, the manual, configuring

-An EFI partition 249MB
      -A swap partition 32GB
      -A ext4 with journaling 200GB

im'not able to set flag (boot) but only the point of mount /boot/efi

whatever the result is the same.. Install grub-efi ....failed

can i put in my folder /boot/efi something without installing? waht file/folder?
      Any other idea?

Comment

Start here:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/forumdi...EFI-assistance

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you, the problem was caused by some unknowed error in partition manager formatting,
          resolved by installing PartitionMagic in live kubuntu, formatting, and installing using automatic partitioning (in kubuntu installation).

Now i've only to understand how does bcache works =) for using the small 24GB SSD as cache disk.. (in the hope that kubuntu implements an integrated software)

For the energy saving problem instead, i've installed jupiter, program which unfortunately allows me to use the laptop for only two and a half hours, as opposed to long time of Win e MacOS..(better ideas?)

I have found that the keys to change screen brightness don't work, even with the driver for nvidia GeForce 635m, I suppose I'll have to use a small script to change settings in the nvidia config.

Comment

Working...
          X