X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change in KDE Wallet behavior blocking wifi

(required information)
    Kubuntu release: 12.10
    Kubuntu is not installed 'inside' of Windows.
    KDE version: 4.9.4
    Grub version: 0.97-29ubuntu66 (Legacy version)
    No other operating systems.
    PC type: desktop
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64
    (other information unknown, except that there's only one internal hard drive)

I've been using Kubuntu for a few months. Until today, every time I would start the computer, the KDE Wallet would appear. The network key for my wifi connection was saved in the KDE Wallet, so I would enter my Wallet password, and then the computer would connect to the Internet.

I think that I must have messed up something with the KDE Wallet yesterday, because it no longer appears when I start Kubuntu, and I can no longer connect to my network. I can still see the network in the "WLAN interfaces" panel. When I click on the network, it will even try to connect; the tooltip on the icon on the right side of the panel will briefly say "Configuring interface," but it does not successfully connect. I can verify that nothing has changed with the network itself; I am using the network now with my old Windows XP laptop.

The first time that I tried clicking on the connection from the dialog window "Configure -- KDE Control Module" today, I had to enter my KDE Wallet password again, but it has not since asked for the password at all, even though I've rebooted several times. I think KDE Wallet requested to save some other password yesterday, and I gave it permission. Unfortunately, I don't even remember exactly what I was doing yesterday. I do know that the wifi was working perfectly until I turned the computer off last night.

I enjoy using Kubuntu. I apologize for my ineptitude, and I'm grateful for any advice anyone can offer.

I recently had a similar issue. Search forums before posting. If you do not mind losing passwords then you could follow the following:
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...hlight=kwallet

Often a reason for KDE apps going awry has to do with the session restoring mechanism under: Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Session Management > On Login > Start with an empty session.

Comment

I do not use the KDE-wallet for this vary reason , I do not know why it happens but it seams to sometimes , disable it (the wallet) then delete your connection in the network widget and then re-add it.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
        f you do not mind losing passwords then you could follow the following:
        http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...hlight=kwallet
        Thank you. Sorry for not searching the forum better. I am not familiar enough with Linux to follow the instructions in that thread, but I was able to reset my network connection by going to System > Wallet Management Tool and deleting "kdewallet" from "KDE Wallet Manager." Then I deleted the connection and added it again. It is now working.

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
        Often a reason for KDE apps going awry has to do with the session restoring mechanism under: Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Session Management > On Login > Start with an empty session.
        Thank you, I will do that, too.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        I do not know why it happens but it seams to sometimes , disable it (the wallet) then delete your connection in the network widget and then re-add it.
        The help is very much appreciated.

Edit: I don't know how to mark the thread Solved.

Comment

Working...
        X