This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screensaver won't activate

Using Kubuntu 12.10 (OS Version Linux 3.5.0 -generic KDE SC Version: 4.10.00)
    Screensaver located at System Settings / Display & Monitor / Screen Locker. Is this the right location ?
    Reason I ask is that after an auto Muon update, any ScreenSaver will not start - even after 1 minute. Test works OK.
    Was working perfectly before the update. Sure would appreciate suggestions!

In the last few versions of KDE there have been some major changes to the screensaver program and powerman and I dont think the wrinkles have been ironed out yet. Screensaver, screen dim, and brightness control are all broken on my system. I filled a bug for the screen dim issue, but I havent checked for the screensaver issue.

Comment

If you haven't restarted the computer since changing the settings, try that. I am not sure, but sometimes certain configurations require restart to apply. Additionally, on the screen where you made your changes, make sure you clicked on Apply. I have forgotten to do that before. Otherwise, I don't know. Good fortune!

Comment

i can report my screen savers do not work as they should either. basically all i get is black screen. my speculation is the screen saver packages have not caught up with the new window managers.
        “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Linux 3.5.0-21-generic, KDE 4.9.4, Plasma Netbook,
        Grand Unified Bootloader (Grub) 0.97-29ubuntu66 (Legacy version)

Dell MINI 9, Intel Dual Core Atom (2x) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 32-bits,
        STEC PATA 32GB SSD on IDE Bus, 2Gb RAM.

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

Comment

Originally posted by oznola View Post
          i can report my screen savers do not work as they should either. basically all i get is black screen. my speculation is the screen saver packages have not caught up with the new window managers.
          Don't think so on openSUSE 12.2 with KR410 (KDE 4.10) repo the screensaver works just fine as it did in 4.9 and 4.8. Might be a Kubuntu packaging bug.

Dimming etc also all work just fine. Wonder if there is a Kubuntu issue or openSUSE are using home brewed patches (unlikely as they love upstream.) Also doesn't dim work only selectively on some graphics cards?

On another note, people still use screen savers?

Comment

it was considered a gnome problem on the ubuntu forums. i don't know the common factors between gnome and kde but their screen savers are showing the same problems.

yes demayer some of us want them. i am of the philosophy that if a computer is not being used it can be displaying something interesting.

i enjoy kitsch.
            Last edited by oznola; Feb 14, 2013, 09:51 AM.
            “The door to the cabinet is to be opened using a minimum of 15 Kleenexes.” ~Howard Hughes

Intel Mobile 945SE Express Integrated Graphics Controller with OpenGL/ES extensions

Comment

Originally posted by oznola View Post
              it was considered a gnome problem on the ubuntu forums. i don't know the common factors between gnome and kde but their screen savers are showing the same problems.

yes demayer some of us want them. i am of the philosophy that if a computer is not being used it can be displaying something interesting.

i enjoy kitsch.
              Well maybe the new KDE lockscreen with configurable widgets might be a decent substitute. You could combine it with animated wallpapers even!

Comment

as i am recalling it was the transition from gnome to unity that marked the beginning of the screen saver problems in ubuntu. perhaps unity and plasma must share a common widget set if one goes back far enough.

once-upon-a-time i knew how to get the screen savers working in unity. seems that i would purge distro screensaver(s) then install only the X screensaver. while X is the super-set of gnome, unity and kde it is a plausible solution.

i'll look into KDE lockscreen too.

Comment

Thanks guys - there was more trouble happened - weired & many. Have to reinstall. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Hummm sory to say that all the above work @hear screensaver + locker,simple lock screen,widget screen + locker,screen brightness keys ......... Kubuntu-12.10 KDE-4.10.00 lightdm Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller i915-driver

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      Hummm sory to say that all the above work @hear screensaver + locker,simple lock screen,widget screen + locker,screen brightness keys ......... Kubuntu-12.10 KDE-4.10.00 lightdm Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller i915-driver

VINNY
                      I wish Kubuntu had more developers to iron out these issues. It usually doesn't affect many people but its sad that it does ruin that "polished" feel of a OS when you have to battle through bugs. Kubuntu is probably the best .deb based KDE distro but it falls short in terms of resources. The small, committed team does an amazing job!

Comment

Working...
                      X