This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB problems

I've been using Kubuntu 12.10 since it came out, and I still can't find a way to get the computer to recognize some of my USB peripherals. There's no problem finding my scanner, but my thumb drives and my Palm cradle might as well not be plugged in.

I've tried Googling for help, but most of the 3.7 million hits are out-of-date. I've tried booting with the USB thumb drive in place thinking that's the difference between the scanner and the thumbdrive, but it didn't work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ken Wright

Was your dock working in previous versions?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PalmDeviceSetup has probably the most up to date info on this, but the real issue is configuring jpilot or some other syncing software to see the device. there is no current KDE software to sync with palm devices anymore.

Are your thumb drives identical? Are they the "u3" type?

If you are not sure that they are detected or not is to plug them in and type in the command "lsusb" to get an output of the devices detected with some id info included. You can paste that here if you aren't sure you see your drives or dock.

Comment

>
      Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Was your dock working in previous versions?

Yes.

>Are your thumb drives identical? Are they the "u3" type?

I'm afraid I don't know what this means.

>If you are not sure that they are detected or not is to plug them in and type in the command "lsusb" to get an output of the devices detected with some id info included. You can paste that here if you aren't sure you see >your drives or dock.
      Here's the output from lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03f0:1005 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5400c
      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
      Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
      Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

That's with the thumb drive plugged in.

Any further information I can give, just ask. I don't know what would be relevant, I'm afraid.

Ken

Comment

The drive is not being detected, it is showing your printer as the only USB device connected. Can you try plugging it into a different US port and runninig lsusb again? Perhaps using the one where the printer is plugged in if that is easily accessible. We need to see if it is the device or the port possibly being wonky.

Comment

You should also check to see if the usb key works in a different computer. I just had one that was working fine and then simply died and wasn't recognized by any computer or operating system I plugged it into.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
            You should also check to see if the usb key works in a different computer. I just had one that was working fine and then simply died and wasn't recognized by any computer or operating system I plugged it into.
            Okay, I tried plugging the thumb drive into a different USB port and lo and behold it showed up on fdisk -l. Now if only that port were at the front of the computer...

Here's the output of lsusb:
            Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03f0:1005 Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 5400c
            Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0011:7788
            Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
            Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
            Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Apparently the ports on the front of my computer need to be tended to.

Ken

Comment

Working...
            X