Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange font problem; missing pixels, lines, choppy.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange font problem; missing pixels, lines, choppy.

Hello,

I installed Kubuntu the other day and have this font issue where there are strange lines cutting through text, below is a screenshot example of a news article title with the missing pixels. I've fiddled around with the font settings but no luck so far in solving the problem. It does this not only on the browser (FF) but also in LibreOffice and as I type this thread. Any idea what is causing it?

your screenshot did not come thrugh!!

what GPU do you have and what driver is it using ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      your screenshot did not come thrugh!!

what GPU do you have and what driver is it using ?

VINNY
      The GPU is built into the motherboard which is an ASUS P5GC-MX/1333. I'm trying to find out where to look for what driver I'm using.
      Last edited by Cornova; Sep 03, 2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
        Max. resolution:2048x1536@75Hz
        Max. Vertical Refresh Rate:85Hz@ up to 1920x1440

I can't find anything about drivers under system settings. Here's another attempt to get my screenshot to show:

http://postimage.org/image/4vxswymlv/

Comment

Code:
          lsmod | grep video
          should show the vid driver in use ("guess" i915)

never seen that one on my boxes.....the missing pixels that is .
          some one else should chime in soon that might have an idea or 2 ,,,do you have any other graphics issues as well ?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What font are you using, and does this persist if you select/use a different font?
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              should show the vid driver in use ("guess" i915)

never seen that one on my boxes.....the missing pixels that is .
              some one else should chime in soon that might have an idea or 2 ,,,do you have any other graphics issues as well ?

VINNY
              You are right that it is i915, I have not seen any other graphics issues so far.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              What font are you using, and does this persist if you select/use a different font?
              I had the default Ubuntu fonts, I did change them as well as mess around with various options under fonts, but nothing helped.

Comment

What are your settings in System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced

Comment

What are your settings in System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced
                  Compositing type: OpenGL
                  Keep window thumbnails: Only for Shown Windows
                  Scale method: Accurate

[Unchecked] Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows

[Checked] Use OpenGL 2 Shaders
                  [Unchecked] Use VSync

Comment

Is there a Qt graphic system: setting? Here, it is set to Native

Comment

Is there a Qt graphic system: setting? Here, it is set to Native
                      I don't see one

Comment

Originally posted by Cornova View Post
                        Compositing type: OpenGL
                        Keep window thumbnails: Only for Shown Windows
                        Scale method: Accurate

[Unchecked] Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows

[Checked] Use OpenGL 2 Shaders
                        [Unchecked] Use VSync
                        Does checking "Use VSync" make any difference?

When I looked at your screenshot the first thing that struck me was a Vsync issue. That would be more apparent if you scroll text quickly up and down (the text would have even more marked tearing and splitting by horizontal white space). Do you see any white space through other parts of the screen or does it affect only the text?
                        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                          Does checking "Use VSync" make any difference?

When I looked at your screenshot the first thing that struck me was a Vsync issue. That would be more apparent if you scroll text quickly up and down (the text would have even more marked tearing and splitting by horizontal white space). Do you see any white space through other parts of the screen or does it affect only the text?
                          It slowed my PC down to a crawl, the choppiness was still there, I switched back and changed the "Scale method" to crisp and it seems to have helped, but I need to restart to see if things speed up again.

Comment

I restarted, it's still running super slow, like 5 seconds for the KDE button thing to open after I click it Fonts are actually still messed up, improvement was a false alarm.

Comment

Checking that VSync thing has made my PC unusably slow, taking forever to do anything, is my GPU over heated or something? Also, I did just notice lines in the + Reply to Thread button on the blue graphic so it looks like it isn't just text.

Comment

Working...
                              X