X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the current options for Java?

Hi all,

I'm looking at installing Java on Kubuntu for the first time (12.04 LTS upgraded from 11.10), and I'm not sure what the current "recommended" way to do it is.

Muon Software Centre has OpenJDK Java 6 and 7 Runtime listed, and nothing by Oracle. I vaguely understand there are some issues with Oracle Java, and that OpenJDK is recommended, but all the threads I've see talk about Java 6. Has that been superseded by 7 now?

Also I'm a bit confused by the comments int the OpenJDK Java 7 description. Some claim it's Java 6 and mislabeled, some say there's no issue. Anyone here tried it and can comment?

Thanks!

What version of Kubuntu are you running? On my 12.05 64-bit, I installed default-jre from the package manager. You can install it from the console with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install default-jre
    default-jre
    Description-en: Standard Java or Java compatible Runtime This package points to the Java runtime, or Java compatible
    runtime recommended for the amd64 architecture,
    which is openjdk-6-jre for amd64.

If you have an i386 CPU then it will install the i386 version.
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 13, 2012, 07:39 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm running 12.04 LTS, 64-bit.

Will try default-jre and see how that goes. Thanks!

Comment

Personally I say openJDK will do most of the work these days as its made great improvements, the only time I see it being an issue is with certain online games that need java but wont take openjdk

Comment

Working...
        X