X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backlight on laptopscreen will not turn on

Hi everyone,

Im using an Acer laptop and the backlight will not turn on using Kubuntu 11 and 12.04. It works on 10.04. If I put an external (CRT) monitor on it, it works.

By using the command: <quote>sudo setpci -s 00:02 F4.B=0</quote> I will be able to turn on the screen (Thank google for that) but how can I make the latop have a screen without the use of an external screen first?

Thx, Yarnil

I'm not able to give the ready recipe but it's likely along the lines of putting this as a script in an autostart file.
    Go to the System Settings and select start up and add a 'program' meaning this script.

Comment

This could be an ACPi issue. First, be sure your power setting in the system menu are correct - meaning your monitor is set correctly.

The above backlight command can be put in /etc/rc.local.

Try amending acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" in /etc/default/grub, in other words and the acpi... bit behind quiet splash inside the quotes.

Then run "sudo update-grub" in a terminal and reboot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi,

Teunis, can you tell how to do that? It needs sudo and I cant type the password if I cant see what the system asks of me. Or is it save to put it in the script too, and how?

Oshunluvr, I tried to amend that line into the grub file, and at first the screen's backlight stayed on longer, but went out after a few seconds. Any other ideas that might work?

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Yarnil View Post
          Hi,

Teunis, can you tell how to do that? It needs sudo and I cant type the password if I cant see what the system asks of me. Or is it save to put it in the script too, and how?
          See this link...

Originally posted by Yarnil View Post
          Oshunluvr, I tried to amend that line into the grub file, and at first the screen's backlight stayed on longer, but went out after a few seconds. Any other ideas that might work?

Thanks for your time.
          You did remember to run,
          Code:
          sudo update-grub
          in a terminal?
          Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

@Bra|10n: thanks for the link. I will try this tonight after work.

And I did run sudo update-grub, but knowing my skills, I will havescrewed up something

Comment

You didn't say whether adding setpci -s 00:02 F4.B=0 to /etc/rc.local worked or not. Also, the exact model of your laptop and video card would help.

Please Read Me

Comment

Oshunluvr, I tried it, but it didnt work. Its an Acer Aspire 7715 with 4Gb of ram.

Bra|10n, I tried the link but it didnt do the trick.

Anyone has another idea? I will try the instructions in the link later again (Dont havem uch time now) but any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Ok given the link another try and figured out that I forgot to get the part quite splash out of the start script (Shift, E, remove quite splash, add ACPI_OSI=linux, F10) and it worked. Thanks all, I now have a functional laptop again, that doesnt need an external monitor.

Comment

And another update. (Sorry for the high newbie-ness I am displaying. )

It works when I restart, but if the screen goes black for a reason, the backlight stays off. Restart or an external monitor and running the line sudo setpci -s 00:02 F4.B=0 is the only thing I can do then.

Comment

Working...
                    X