Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With 12.04 going LTS for 5 years, how will one get the latests KDE updates?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With 12.04 going LTS for 5 years, how will one get the latests KDE updates?

I have kept up with the release cycle of Kubuntu since 7.04. I have upgraded my version every six months. The biggest reason would seem to be that I like keeping up with KDE versions. At some point, the latest KDE doesn't get incorporated with the updates (I.E. the last KDE won't be in the backports for version x).

I'm putting some serious thoughts into doing a fresh install of 12.04 once released, but am a bit worried with the situation above.

Am I being paranoid? 'Stability' over 'Bleeding Edge', right?

If i understand correctly the main point of LTS is to have a stable working environment that doesnt change much.
    If every new kde sc are made available to an LTS release it may cause stability problems.
    So if you like to have latest kde go with 6 month cycle
    Loka samastha sukhino bhavanthu

Comment

You can upgrade to 12.10 in October. An LTS release is supported for 5 years and they tend to be more stable than previous releases. However, you regular versions of Kubuntu will still be released every 6 months and you can upgrade to those if you want.

Also, you can upgrade KDE without upgrading the release. I upgraded to KDE 4.8.1 on Kubuntu 11.10 even though 4.7 is standard with 11.10.

Comment

You could expect to see a re-release of Precise at some point I would expect, e.g 12.04.1 which would include package updates up until that point in time.
        Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

But 12.04.1 would not necessarily include new versions of packages, would it? So it might give you KDE 4.8.2 but not KDE 4.9.

For example, you didn't get new versions of OpenOffice etc on 10.04.3. The only exception to this Ubuntu policy afaik is the Mozilla products.
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
            But 12.04.1 would not necessarily include new versions of packages, would it? So it might give you KDE 4.8.2 but not KDE 4.9.

For example, you didn't get new versions of OpenOffice etc on 10.04.3. The only exception to this Ubuntu policy afaik is the Mozilla products.
            that is correct, Lucid came with 4.2.2 and the latest updates (10.04.3) give you 4.4.5.
            There will be I am sure kubuntu-created ppa packages that will bring the next major KDE version, Lucid can be upgraded to 4.5.3 this way, for example. How far this can be carried will be unknown, but I would not expect a version bump past 4.9, depending on what core libraries would need upgrading.

Comment

Working...
            X