This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can not install new updates

I get a pop up that I have new security updates available but when I try to install I get an error that says:

A problem that we were not expecting has occurred.
    Please report this bug with the error description.

and if I click on details it shows:

linux-image-2.6.32-34-generic

If i have security updates available I want to get them installed. What can I do?
    Computer are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open windows!<br /><br />Linux : Because you wouldnt put a Porsche&#39;s engine in a Pinto<br /><br />case : HAF 932<br />mother board: ASUS p5e3<br />processor: Intel e8500 3.16 GHz<br />RAM: 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1600<br />power supply: Corsair 850W<br />video card: GeForce 8400

Re: can not install new updates

I now for some reason can not open a terminal, when I try it opens really quick then closes immediately.

thanks for any help!
    Computer are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open windows!<br /><br />Linux : Because you wouldnt put a Porsche&#39;s engine in a Pinto<br /><br />case : HAF 932<br />mother board: ASUS p5e3<br />processor: Intel e8500 3.16 GHz<br />RAM: 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1600<br />power supply: Corsair 850W<br />video card: GeForce 8400

Comment

Anybody there? Buller, Buller,

Comment

Try booting Recovery Mode, and on the menu choose "Drop to root prompt" and then do these:

Code:
        dpkg --configure -a
        Code:
        apt-get update
        Code:
        apt-get dist-upgrade
        If any of them generates an error message, post that here. If they all go through without errors, then you should be able to reboot normally.

Comment

Just as a comment, on my manual install of Kubuntu desktop over Oneric, I get a notification of updates, but they won't install, but when I go to synaptic, and check for updates I see them and they install.

woodsmoke

Comment

I have not got to try dibl's solution yet because I'm at work bu he is normally right on. I am curious because of the fact I can not open the terminal.

Comment

I just got to try the dpkg --configure -a but I did get errors at the end. The problem is now that i don't know how to copy that to post here. The last part is:

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
              Idconfig deffered processing now taking place
              Errors were encountered while processing:
              linux-image-2.6.32-34-generic
              linux-image-2.6.32-35-generic
              linux-image-generic
              linux-generic
              E: Sub-process /user/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Comment

in root terminal
                Code:
                apt-get -f install
                or in user terminal

Code:
                sudo apt-get -f install
                btw, Linux kernel 2.6.32 is pretty ancient -- don't you want to try something a little more current?

Comment

I got a lot more errors with that. I would be glad to try something newer how would I go about it, clean install? What something like 11.10?v I wish I could take a picture and attach it so you could see what I got. You are a genius with this so what ever you say i need to I will!

Thanks for all your help!!!

Comment

terminal still won't open :-(

Comment

Originally posted by jpro6363
                      I got a lot more errors with that.
                      It would really be helpful to see what those error messages said!

If that is not possible, then maybe your best bet is to back up your data (use a live CD, for example), and then reinstall a more current version like 11.10.

Comment

Working...
                      X