X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ABANDONED]I am having a sound problem.

Kubuntu Ocelot, KDE 4.7.2 64bit

I just purchased a TVtuner card for my computer. While it is coming in the mail, I decided to install MythTV and Moovidia, getting ready for the new installation.

There were problems during the installation with WinTV which I was unable to fix. One new problem which was created was now I do not have sound. Not even system sounds.

The Analog entry in multimedia is now greyed out leaving only the HDMI option, and it will not make sounds.

My motherboard has on-board sound which inclued HDMI and Ac97, I believe. To date, I have only used the Analog option. The Mixer indicates that the sound is on and is indicating a HDMI source. Both my monitors are HDMI and full HD. My speakers are older but have worked fine for years. Is there some kind of special speaker required for HDMI?

Is there anything I can do, short of reinstalling the OS, to get sound back? Thanks!

Re: I am having a sound problem.

Try uninstalling pulseaudio. Do it from the command line with apt get, do NOT USE MUON since it'll rip your whole installation apart:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
    Reboot when done and see if it works.

Comment

Also telling more specifics, as what you mean by "the installation of WinTV" - since this is where you began to have sound problems, this is where I would start. Check your bios to make sure that HDMI audio is actually enabled there, it often is not.

muon works just fine for removing pulseaudio if you wish, but imo your problem probably lies elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh

muon works just fine for removing pulseaudio if you wish, but imo your problem probably lies elsewhere.
        Well, it removed almost all of KDE in my case, so I'd recommend to be careful. Muon is a work in progress and does silly things.

Comment

In oneiric muon only offers to remove about 5 packages when choosing to uninstall the package pulseaudio, far from half of kde.

However, the package libpulse0 will remove a lot of kde , some things require it, but it isn't part of the sound sever itself. It is for allowing programs access to the pulse audio server, and is safe to keep

Just take it slower when removing packages, muon does have a preview function, btw.

Comment

RESOLVED Re: I am having a sound problem.

Nothing has worked. I believe you are right. I made such a drastic removal of applications when I removed WinTV, I am going to re-install. I am going back to Kubunty Natty too. There are too many unresolvable problems in Ocelot at this time. I am not advanced enough to help in the resolution of an unstable OS. Thanks for your attempts to help.

Comment

Working...
            X