X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer LCD model AL1717 Input not supported

Hello Everyone,
    As you can tell I am new Linux. This is my 3rd Distro, and I recently replaced my monitor with an ACER AL1717 LCD. I am now getting the message Input not supported and the screen goes Black. This message comes up after all of the normal boot up happens, I get the message starting K Display Manager OK. That is when I get the black screen, it flickers green on about the bottom 1/3 of the monitor then nothing and then the message appears moving like a screen saver message. Kernel Build 2.6.10-6-386 Intel PII 400 MHz 256MB RAM.

I have my Monitor going through an old style Data Transfer Switch for my Win2k Server and Win2k Pro computers. I haven't tried going straight to the Linux box yet, I know I should try that just haven't had the time. If someone has had this issue before please let me know. Previous Monitor was a Gateway 19" going through the same Data Switch. Thank you for your time and if this posting went long, I apologize.

Tutankhamon

Re: Acer LCD model AL1717 Input not supported

I suspect that trying to run the flat panel without the kvm switch might not fix your problem. I suspect that the problem has to do with the settings in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. YOur flat panel doesn't use the same settings as your old CRT. You should try to find the range of values for your new monitor's horizontal sync frequency and vertical refresh rate, before you start, then you can use expert mode. It will give you a cleaner xorg.conf file.

Try to start your computer in recovery mode (the second entry on the boot menu). You will get a full screen, black and white console. Login with your name and password and then enter the command
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    . You will have to enter your password again. Then just use the defaults until you get to the part about configuring your display. I you're using expert mode, this is where you get to enter your horizontal sync and vertical refresh values.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I tried to run the xserver-org however I got a message that xserver wasn't installed, I only figured this out after noticing that I didn't have an x11 directory either. I went looking through the directories individualy but wasn't able to locate a xorg.conf file.

I had gotten messages that cupsysd was missing when trying to install other packages before, so I chalked this up to a corrupted install. I reloaded Ubuntu this morning and the installation picked up the monitor and all of its resolutions and refresh rates just fine. I was able to change desktop managers to KDE without any error messages from the package manager. Once again thank you for all your help, I did learn quite a bit about dpkg some other commands that I didn't know.

Perhaps I could ask for one other piece of advise? I have been looking for a site that has the most common used terminal commands for Linux. So far I have found some on linux.org but not much I can use. What I want to do is get into the Man pages, read up, but so far, since I am so new to Linux I haven't made the connection.

Tutankhamon

Comment

For help with command lines look at http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linuxcommand.org/
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I like the CLI Magic articles at Linux.com http://www.linux.com/search.pl?tid=89

Comment

Working...
          X