This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scriptt to serve files on the web

I don't know how to ask this question correctly. I seem to remember a script when run that open up a port on your commuter and give you an IP address that you could then share with someone else, allowing them to download a file from your computer. I can't remember the name of that program. Does anybody out there know the name of that script?

Thank you!

Re: scriptt to serve files on the web

there are several ways to share files. you can use samba , nfs , ftp or a proper lamp web server (to name a few).you might want to try setting up ftp with gadmin-proftpd its a simple enuff gui tool that will get the server working you. then you will need to open port 21 on your router for them to connect. that is the easiest way i know of.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thank you. I'll take a look at gadmin-pfoftpd but I believe that the script that I'm talking about is very simple. I can't remember exactly but I guess you have to open a port and then run this script. It simply gives you an IP address that you can share with someone else. When the download is finished, I the address is no longer available. It's easy to use if you only need to share a file occasional. I guess I've forgotten the name because I haven't used it in a year or two.

Comment

A suggestions for quickly sharing files/folders, Meiga is dead-simple-easy.

Just select a folder to share and Meiga provides a web address that you can send to your friend.

http://meiga.igalia.com/

Comment

Thank you! Although that was not the program that I was looking for, it does seem like it will do the job that I wanted. In fact, the program that I asked about worked from the shell with no GUI so your suggestion is more user friendly.
          While looking for the program that you mentioned I did find a free web based file sharing site. It's called http://minus.com

Thank you again.

ejazzkatt

Comment

Working...
          X