This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved!]Another 1397 wireless issue - now not working on windows either

Hey there, I know this has been posted a lot, as I've found numerous threads and tried the fixes.
    background: I am an absolute noob. Truly. And tech challenged. I've been trying to migrate toward open-source lately, and have been making changes to my comp habits.
    Someone recommended Kubuntu and here I am.
    Version 10.04 is installed on my Dell laptop. I went with this option because I had troubles with installing the newest version. I chose the 32 bit.
    Everything started up fine, but of course, no internet. I checked and got the 'unclaimed' response.. there is no device recognized.
    I followed the tuts but still get a 'Installation of this driver failed' when it comes to the STA wireless driver.
    To make matters worse, now it is not working on windows either. So, I don't know if I did something to it in Kubuntu or what. I think I need to start the whole process over with the card.
    I can't stay plugged into the wall, internet and electrical outlet are far away and the internet is way off in a corner behind everything.. I am now using my laptop on the windowsill, lol...
    Not sure what to do.
    Sincerely,Birch.

Re: Another 1397 wireless issue - now not working on windows either

Hi...

Welcome to the forums

First, could you open a terminal (under "Applications" and then "System") and type (or copy and paste

Code:
    lspci
    and post the results? What is the brand and model number of your system? I'm assuming you made sure that the wireless feature is turned on.

Also, how did you go about trying to install the drivers? Through Jockey, a.k.a "Hardware Drivers?"

Regards...

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Hi there, thanks so much for your response. After doing an update, it suddenly began working. However neither Windows or Kubuntu is allowing me outside the network. I am connected at Kubuntu, can see available networks, and I can connect to my router. First of all is my ifconfig: (a loopback it seems)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr a4:ba:db:d6:a2:b1
      inet addr:70.78.69.84 Bcast:70.78.71.255 Mask:255.255.252.0
      inet6 addr: fe80::a6ba:dbff:fed6:a2b1/64 Scope:Link
      UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:3925 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:1717 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:1270354 (1.2 MB) TX bytes:223364 (223.3 KB)
      Interrupt:18

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 70:f1:a1:bf:83:41
      inet addr:192.168.0.198 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
      inet6 addr: fe80::72f1:a1ff:febf:8341/64 Scope:Link
      UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:2218 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:19294
      TX packets:1263 errors:6 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:191226 (191.2 KB) TX bytes:123038 (123.0 KB)
      Interrupt:17 Base address:0xc000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
      RX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
      RX bytes:2000 (2.0 KB) TX bytes:2000 (2.0 KB)

As for the lspci - not sure if you still want it, but here it is:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
      00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
      00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
      00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
      00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
      00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
      00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
      00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
      00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
      00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
      00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
      00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
      00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
      00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
      00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
      00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
      00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
      00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
      09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
      0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)

I apologize for the length of the post!

Comment

Hi...

On the surface, it sounds like there may be a problem with the chipset itself, since your connection in Windows is also affected. You may need to purchase a Linux compatible USB WiFi device if you can't get the onboard one working.

Here is a troubleshooting guide that will help get you started. Other folks on here who know a lot more than I do may post and give better and/or further instructions.

Regards...

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
          This tells us your wireless card is at least detected, which is good. This is a fairly common model but does have it's issues.

At this point - partly because of your experience level - I'd recommend a lot of internet searching (and ths forum) for BCM4312 Ubuntu 10.04 for posts regarding how to get it set up.

Also, since you're using the older (but LTS) version of Kubuntu, search for kernel backports ppa for 10.04 and learn how to connect to this ppa. Then install a newer kernel (this may help with driver issues and battery life).

Also (again ) be sure you have the kernel headers installed that match your kernel and also a package called dkms - both of these are required for kernel modules, which the Broadcom drivers are.

Finally, as general good forum practice; post more completely (detailed) about what you have attempted and what to actual result was. Not: "I tried to install the driver, but it failed." but rather: "I used kpackagetkit to install the STA driver and got this error message - Blah,Blah Blah...." The "more details" rules applies to your hardware also. It's not a Dell laptop, but a "Dell Model #XXX with XXX ram and XXX video card" and so on.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks everyone. Im sorry I wasn't more detailed, but I had been searching this forum and online for the majority of the day with this issue. I had tried the steps in the ubunto documentation, I had followed different tuts to no avail. I was rather confused and exhausted by the time I posted this.

Headers etc were all installed. I'm not sure what the kicker was, but somewhere along the way I did an apt-get update and also an apt-get upgrade (i think that was the term, I have a million scraps of paper with tidbits of info I copied) . After that there was a pop up in the toolbar that wanted me to install 2 security packages or programs (i just remember that the term security was in at one of them) After that, STA was suddenly activated, all on it's own, even though previously it would not even install. YAY!

Now, the MOST EMBARASSING part, and the bit that marks this solved is, for the last hour, after getting the card to work but not being able to access online for windows or kubuntu, when looking at the file above the word Loop Back triggered something and I remembered *smacks forehead*....
            I had unplugged the cord from the modem to the router, and plugged it into my laptop so that I could have direct internet, so of COURSE, although it showed my card was working, and could detect my wireless router, my modem was no longer plugged into it! lol... when I was unplugging it from the comp to check my wireless internet status, I wasnt making the big climb behind the furniture to get it back into the router, I forgot. So embarassing. So yeah, after all day of figuring out how to get my card to be recognized, I spent the last bit of the wee morning hours with a non-internet wireless router. Sorry!!! All is fine now!

Comment

Re: [solved!]Another 1397 wireless issue - now not working on windows either

Hi...

No problem, I'm glad you got it working.

If you need more help or have any questions, please don't hesitate to come back.

Regards...

Comment

I hate it when I do stuff like that, but love it when someone else does!

Seriously, glad you're up and running

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, I'm thrilled. I love it when that little 'click' happens and the brain suddenly figures it out. Like the day you first learn to tie your shoes
                  Happy to be a Kubuntu-er

Comment

Working...
                  X