This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live cd can't login

what is the default password for the live cd? After the live cd loads it says "authentication failure" (terminal script with black background) and then an error dialog on the desktop (blue background) saying"Authenticating Kubuntu A critical error occured. please look at KDM's logfile for more info or contact your administrator." If I click OK it comes up with a login screen. I never created a user. I have tried booting the live cd about 10 times and Sometimes the live cd wont load at all and just freezes up at the loading screen with the moving dots. Does someone know how I can proceed? and look at the log-file? the livecd is kubuntu 10.04. I have already checked the cd for defects and it didn't find any problems. The computer is an old dell dimension 8100 with a Pentium 4 and 256mb of ram. There is nothing wrong with the PC that I know of, because it is able to boot into windows XP just fine.

Re: Live cd can't login

the 256-RAM is probably killing ya ................that will not be enuff for you to be happy with the install even if you manage it.

with that little RAM you should try a lighter distro like Lubuntu or puppy.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Try Bodhi Linux.

Ubuntu 10.04LTS based, fancy desktop (enlightenment), 128K RAM required.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi...

Welcome to the forums

Another possibility is that your CD-ROM does not read fast enough while data is being transferred. I've had this happen on an older system that I tried to install Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) 10.04 on.

EDIT: Then again, looking at your system brand and model, I doubt that's your problem, although it might be worth double checking. If it's a memory issue (an upgrade will be needed even if it's not,) then your system can be upgraded to 2 GB's according to Dell's spec sheet. If you want to use this same system to run Kubuntu, I would suggest at least 1 GB. You won't be able to run it well, if at all, with only 256 MB's.

Regards...
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

384 MB of RAM is the 'minimum' requirement for 10.04.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            384 MB of RAM is the 'minimum' requirement for 10.04.
            for kubuntu

Please Read Me

Comment

very true, sometimes this happened just because of memory...upgrade it ...
              Professional seo services<br />Pet insurance<br />Cash for gold

Comment

Ok I will upgrade the ram and see if that helps

Comment

Working...
                X