This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

build-essentials fustrations

Hi there. I'm a new linux user, and having some difficulties getting internet access. I have a dwa-125 usb wireless card that isn't recognized. That's fine. I found out what the chipset is, and grabbed the tarball from the manufacturer. I do some reading and find that I need build essentials installed to create the driver. Also fine.

Now, my desktop can only connect to the internet wirelessly as I split the bill with my downstairs neighbor. When buntu is running the only way to access the internet is via my android phone. So, I grab the required .deb files on my phone, transfer them over with a usb cable, and install them one at a time.

Only now it seems that two of them require one another to be installed and I'm absolutely baffled on how to do this offline. The files in question are:
    1. g++-4.5
    2. libstdc++6-4.5-dev
    Both files say they need the other one, but wont recognize that they're in the same folder and only check online.

Now, this is a natty 64 bit install on it's own partition - not through windows (7x64 is installed as well).

I had also tried to get files off both the dvd and cd (I burned a copy of each) but get an error message when trying to add a cdrom to software sources:

"Error scanning the cd. E:Unable to stat the mount point /media/cdrom - stat (2: No such file or directory), E:Failed to mount the cdrom.

Same error with both disks- including the one I used to install. Dolphin can see both discs.

Help, please!

Re: build-essentials fustrations

Originally posted by eflan
    .... and install them one at a time.

Only now it seems that two of them require one another to be installed and I'm absolutely baffled on how to do this offline. The files in question are:
    1. g++-4.5
    2. libstdc++6-4.5-dev
    Both files say they need the other one, but wont recognize that they're in the same folder and only check online.
    you could try them at the same time
    Code:
    dpkg -i g++-4.5 libstdc++6-4.5-dev
    but that probably won't work either as each of these have dependencies that won't be met and you have to be careful about getting the right versions that match your system. You really need to be hooked up to a repository, which you are trying with the CD. It appears the repo for the cd is pointing to /media/cdrom, but the cd is getting mounted somewhere else. Put the install cd in and figure out where it is mounted and update the cd repo to that location.
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

Also, try opening the cd/dvd in dolphin first - which will mount it, then try adding it again. It may be seen by the file manager, but it my not be mounted automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by tanderson
        you could try them at the same time
        Code:
        dpkg -i g++-4.5 libstdc++6-4.5-dev
        but that probably won't work either as each of these have dependencies that won't be met and you have to be careful about getting the right versions that match your system.
        That worked perfectly, thanks! I had already went throw and installed 12 other packages that were missing depandancies, and build-essentials is installed now.

Hopefully the drivers will be relatively painless, and ill have to figure out the cdrom issue - seems I need to do some more reading.

Thanks again for the responses!

Comment

Working...
        X