X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is there an official KFN policy...

Originally posted by dibl
    (i.e. it is also possible to start your barbecue with 5 gallons of jet fuel and a propane torch, it just isn't a brilliant method as compared to the recommended method).
    I prefer gasoline and a match.

@wizard10000: I agree that it is entirely your choice although I don't hold the view that avoiding root accounts should be incorporated into forum policy. I'm not saying you feel that way, I just mean for any future discussion and/or changes with forum rules.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
      I don't think we are at a point where we need such strict guidelines as our members' common sense, personal experiences, and tolerance seem to allow for this to not be needed here so much
      +1

Besides, Mother Nature gives the test first, then the lesson, which is an excellent learning experience and usually stays with those willing to learn from their mistakes and not blame the platform.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71
        @wizard10000: I agree that it is entirely your choice although I don't hold the view that avoiding root accounts should be incorporated into forum policy. I'm not saying you feel that way, I just mean for any future discussion and/or changes with forum rules.
        Agreed. I just wanted to know if there *was* a rule. I don't think we need one either - I just asked because it is a rule on the other forum.

Thanks, all
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

policy, what policy? We don't really have any other than spam/pr0n/rude or nasty behavior.

It isn't just that root access can be considered 'wrong' or 'dangerous' on *buntus, it is that the system is [i]designed[/]around this. Think the sudo/root issue as using a metric wrench on a US bolt. Sure, there is a size that is close and will do the job, but it may also make the bolt harder to loosen or tighten later on.

If I remember correctly the ubuntuforums policy on this was originally due to the massive number of people posting their problems in the aftermath of enabling root (and I suspect the endless arguments about the subject). In such a large and high-volume forum these sort of policies do make sense. They also have a policy on entering certain bash commands (such as rm -rf /) that cause havoc. If i am not mistaken, some of these policies have been around there since before they were an actual part of ubuntu/canonical.

I don't think we are at a point where we need such strict guidelines as our members' common sense, personal experiences, and tolerance seem to allow for this to not be needed here so much

he he that reminds me of the time in a slackware install wile lodged on as root that I accidentally ran..... "rm -rf /bin at first it didn't look like anything had happened ......the screen was still their the mouse still moved .............but you couldn't click on or do anything .
          I just happened to have a duplicate install on a different partition and coped /bin over from it to save it

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

No 'written' or otherwise 'expressed' rules on KFN. There is however, an 'expectation' that all members give fair consideration to each other. Each KFN member comes here with different needs and expectations. Each has their own level of acquired skills and experiences. Each has their own unique ways of comprehension, and style of expression. Each has their own level of tolerance.

As 'seasoned' members - those who have been KFN members for quite some time, and/or who have been 'active participants' - we have an even greater burden to help ensure that 'no harm' is inflicted on the naive among us. This is especially true when suggesting and/or providing examples of console commands that are (or can be) disastrous when executed, or used 'not as intended'.

It is of course true that the OS is the 'property' of the user, and if they want the ability to do something, even if we as seasoned members know it to be deleterious, we should be 'supportive' and provide the answer along with a qualified disclaimer as to the likely/possible outcome(s) of it's use, not just for the benefit of the questioner, but for all who see the answer afterwards.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              No 'written' or otherwise 'expressed' rules on KFN. There is however, an 'expectation' that all members give fair consideration to each other. Each KFN member comes here with different needs and expectations. Each has their own level of acquired skills and experiences. Each has their own unique ways of comprehension, and style of expression. Each has their own level of tolerance.

As 'seasoned' members - those who have been KFN members for quite some time, and/or who have been 'active participants' - we have an even greater burden to help ensure that 'no harm' is inflicted on the naive among us. This is especially true when suggesting and/or providing examples of console commands that are (or can be) disastrous when executed, or used 'not as intended'.

It is of course true that the OS is the 'property' of the user, and if they want the ability to do something, even if we as seasoned members know it to be deleterious, we should be 'supportive' and provide the answer along with a qualified disclaimer as to the likely/possible outcome(s) of it's use, not just for the benefit of the questioner, but for all who see the answer afterwards.
              +1

well stated @Snowhog

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                No disrespect, but this illustrates my point pretty well
                Why would I feel "disrespected" by someone posting their opinion?

Anyway, for those who are interested in another perspective on this, here's AdamW blogging about the time someone went to #fedora on IRC and asked how to get root using their live CD, and the (unfortunate) results.

Comment

policy, what policy? We don't really have any other than spam/pr0n/rude or nasty behavior.

It isn't just that root access can be considered 'wrong' or 'dangerous' on *buntus, it is that the system is [i]designed[/]around this. Think the sudo/root issue as using a metric wrench on a US bolt. Sure, there is a size that is close and will do the job, but it may also make the bolt harder to loosen or tighten later on.

If I remember correctly the ubuntuforums policy on this was originally due to the massive number of people posting their problems in the aftermath of enabling root (and I suspect the endless arguments about the subject). In such a large and high-volume forum these sort of policies do make sense. They also have a policy on entering certain bash commands (such as rm -rf /) that cause havoc. If i am not mistaken, some of these policies have been around there since before they were an actual part of ubuntu/canonical.

and this is the single biggest reason (as a Linux newb myself) why I point people to Kubuntu... these forums... Common sense does not seem to be very common these days but there is an abundance of it here on these forums. Lovin it
                  To understand true frustration, one must only go so far as to install Linux!!! and then came Kubuntu and the World is at peace again

Comment

Working...
                  X