This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 10.04 New Install GUI Password does not permit access

Just installed Kubuntu 10.04 on a T-61 laptop. Dual Booting with Ubuntu 10.04 and using a common /home.

Kubuntu is the default OS at boot and loads OK to the log-in window but when I enter my password, a transparent window flashes briefly at top left and I am returned to the log-in box.

I have reset my password in recovery mode but still cannot gain GUI access to Kubuntu

This machine is using the same username and password on both Ubuntu and Kubuntu, if that makes any difference, and there is no problem booting into Ubuntu.

Any suggestions?
    Volunteer OS Installer and Supporter for New Linux Users.
    So much to learn.... So little time!

Re: Kubuntu 10.04 New Install GUI Password does not permit access

If you get thrown back to the login screen after entering your password and pressing the Enter Key, the problem is usually that your xserver is not running.

When the Grub menu comes up, choose the second option, which is to repair the installation. On the next menu, which is a blue & red console menu, arrow down to the last option, which is run in a console as root with a network connection (network possible with wicd, not sure with KNetworkManager). From that last option, TAB to the "Ok" button and hit the Enter Key. You will be taken to the root login. Enter YOUR name and account password (because you are root, in affect).
    When the console prompt appears enter
    service kdm start
    That should start kdm and hence the KDE desktop. IF the desktop doesn't start try
    startkde

That should start you up in root running KDE4. Log out of root to get to the login manager and attempt to log in as you. Since the xserver has been started you should be able to log into your KDE4 desktop from now on. If not, post any error messages you get here, or the last 100 or so lines from the dmesg command.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This is solved (sort of). It appears that this problem has been hanging around for at least a year but probably does not affect many users. The problem apparently relates to on-board video drivers. After researching and trying 3 different suggestions, non of which worked, I found a work-around

At the log-in window there are two icons at lower left, a down arrow and a power button.
      Clicking on the down arrow reveals a selection window with three choices
      1. Default,
      2. KDE Plasma Workspace,
      3. Failsafe.

Selecting #2 then entering the password will result in some screen gymnastics followed by a black screen which, if one waits long enough, will be followed by the Plasma Desktop and the user is good to go.

This would be very frustrating for a brand new Linux user who wanted to try Kubuntu. In as much as the installation procedure must detect the type of hardware and video drivers present, it should not be much of a reach to expect that it will load the appropriate desktop when the system is re-started.

I don't know if using the plasma workspace handicaps Kubuntu 11.04 but if anyone has any comments they will be welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by MDuff
        This is solved (sort of). It appears that this problem has been hanging around for at least a year but probably does not affect many users. The problem apparently relates to on-board video drivers. After researching and trying 3 different suggestions, non of which worked, I found a work-around
        You are correct, it is a problem relating to how the Linux driver drives your video chip. Your laptop, and video chip, made in 2007, are now legacy. The 965GM video chip was a mediocre performer, not meant for games or heavy 3D acceleration. This thread discusses some "work arounds", but read the whole thread before you decide to do anything.

At the log-in window there are two icons at lower left, a down arrow and a power button.
        Clicking on the down arrow reveals a selection window with three choices
        1. Default,
        2. KDE Plasma Workspace,
        3. Failsafe.

Selecting #2 then entering the password will result in some screen gymnastics followed by a black screen which, if one waits long enough, will be followed by the Plasma Desktop and the user is good to go.
        Many people with that chip usually end up at the black screen and stay there. That yours just pauses for a moment and then gives you a desktop is probably an exception. Some have no problems at all. The same chip can be used by different PC OEMs but their surround support chips and firmware can be different, and the combo can add or detract from the performance of the i965 driver. It's the luck of the hardware draw. Combine that with the fact that at four years of age that chip has entered the legacy status, and you have a situation where not much support will be forth coming.

This would be very frustrating for a brand new Linux user who wanted to try Kubuntu. In as much as the installation procedure must detect the type of hardware and video drivers present, it should not be much of a reach to expect that it will load the appropriate desktop when the system is re-started.

I don't know if using the plasma workspace handicaps Kubuntu 11.04 but if anyone has any comments they will be welcome.
        Well, there are SO MANY kinds of desktops, laptops, notebooks and netbooks on which Kubuntu cand (and is) run, even with 965GM chips, one cannot make a sweeping generalization that plasma workspace handicaps Kubuntu.

This Sony VAIO notebook contains the Mobil Series 4 Express Video chipset from Intel. When I was running Mandriva between September of 2008 and February of 2009 they were using the i815 driver. I worked with Xorg developers to get my notebook to give descent 3D graphics. They found a fix the first week of that February and said it would probably make its way to Mandriva in the summer some time. Mandriva was running KDE 4.2.1 and wouldn't move to 4.2.2 till that summer or fall. I wanted to try 4.2.2 because it was a significant upgrade. I heard that Kubuntu had KDE 4.2.2 so I tried a LiveCD of it. I was STUNNED to see it gave me perfect 3D acceleration out of the box. Checking, I noticed that it use the i915 driver instead of the i815.

I relate that to suggest this. Perhaps you could test the i915 driver. One way to do that is to boot Kubuntu using the second Grub option, the "recovery" mode, and from that red & blue console menu arrow down to the last option (root console with network), then tab to the OK button and press the Enter key. You will be taken to a root console login. Use YOUR account name and password (because YOU are actually root in a sudo environment). From the console
        modprobe i915
        Then,
        service kdm start
        If that gives you the KDE4 desktop and it works ok for you in that situation you can force the i915 driver by black listing the i815 driver. (add "blacklist i915 i815" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf)
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek:
          Nice to know there are some other grey heads still working on the leading edge.

As you will have noticed, I did find a work-around and lucked out from what you say. Must have cross posted with you.

Lots of good information in both of your responses. I will keep your suggestions in my file of "When all else fails".

Still playing with the latest Kubuntu before I recommend it to anyone. It seems slower to respond than Ubuntu 10.04 even using the Unity desktop, which by the way, other than freezing at times, has proven to be be a big hit with new users even though experienced users complain about difficulty finding things on/in it.

Mac

Comment

You can also, once you are logged in to Kubuntu and on the Desktop, go and disable Desktop Effects and see if that makes a difference when you next reboot and choose to login to Kubuntu 'Default'.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Good point, Snowhog!
              I've been running 10.04 LST since it was alpha and up until the last update, a couple days ago, I had to run with desktop effects disabled because with them I ran slower by a factor of, perhaps, 30% or more.

After that update, my desktop effects were enabled automatically, but I never noticed. I saw a light blue tinge around active windows, and when I drug something it was suddenly slightly transparent, but it took this 70 year old brain a day or two to realize what had happened. Intrigued, I began testing my video with the desktop effects enabled. Suddenly, my desktop is, perhaps, 30 or 40% FASTER than it was without the desktop effects. My canary-in-the-video-mine, SecondLife, was amazingly faster. So was Stellarium. I haven't had a single problem with the desktop effects. The Cube is actually fast enough to use as a desktop changer. Before, clicking the mouse on a desktop icon in the panel was faster, but now just rolling the mouse thumbwheel makes the cube spin like a roulette wheel!

Bottom line, I'm keeping the desktop effects on. Also, I am running Oneiric as a guest OS, and today's update of 382 packages went Ok, One temporary problem was that after I rebooted things ran fine, but the shutdown option wouldn't work. I had to use the VirtualBox menu to shut Oneiric down. When I rebooted, it still ran just fine, and the shutdown also worked OK. So, after that slight hiccup, Oneiric is working great. (Still staying with 10.04 till the 3rd month of the next LTS.)

Comment

Working...
              X