Codename: Natty Norwall
    Motherboad: ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe Mempipe
    Processor: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Box QuadCore 2300mhz
    4gb AXIOM ECC DDR2 SDRAM 667mhz
    DVDRW 16x SATA
    Western Digital 1tb SATA HDD
    Maxtor 500gb SATA HDD
    EVGA GeForce GTX460 1024MB GDDR5
    .................................................. ................................................

Several applications open opposite screen. When configured 'TwinView' and second monitor is playing a video, and I am working on the other screen, when I click anything on the working screen, the video minimizes. When I am configured with 'Separate X Screen' some applications still open on the opposite screen, however the minimizing of one screen DOES NOT happen when clicking on the opposite screen.

Consequently, if I have to live with this situation, I am inclined to prefer 'Separate X Screen' configuration over 'TwinView'. Nevertheless, I would prefer each screen to open applications on the screen which is currently doing the work, without the other screen minimizing a loaded application. Is this a configuration issue that can be resolved?

Hopefully to help make myself clear: Can I configure my dual-monitors to work independently of each other, having the one the cursor is on, as the active screen, and the otherscreen unaffected, when the mouse is clicked? Additionally, can I have the screen (the mouse is currently on) always open the application on that screen, as opposed to the opposite screen? Sorry, difficult to explain my problem. TIA

Re: Dual-Monitor configuration problems.

you can set window rules for a given application.
    rt.click on windows icon advanced ->special application settings

you can set try to play w/ the window placement setting
    system settings->window behavor->Window behavor-> Advanced

i can recall in the past seeing a follow mouse for placement (maybe it was an addon) but in looking for it right now i don't see it, it might be moved to another kcm so take a good look around system settings you might find better options.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I find this issue somewhat odd. I've been using twinview since it was available.

I've never seen a window on the opposite screen minimize all by itself. They do automatically lose focus which is not the same. Where this bugged me when playing a video and I had "Dim Inactive" selected in desktop effects. I could never get the Advanced Windows Rules to work (a known bug) to prevent the dimming, but I haven't reattempted that since the 4.6 upgrade in KDE.

Most program windows open where the mouse is active at a given point in the program sequence. Where and when this occurs varies with how you have your mouse properties set and how quickly the program opens (and you patience). There are a couple programs that seem unaffected by the system rules, i.e. Frostwire always place it's splash-screen mid-desktop - which means it's split down the middle by my monitor's edges. I suspect in these cases, the program itself has been made to do this by it's well intentioned creators.

I suspect you're caught between a bad mix of Desktop effects and Behavior settings. You didn't say whether you're using Kwin effects or Compiz. I've stayed with Kwin for quite awhile because the ease and relative lack of problems out weigh the gee-wizziness of compiz IMO.

Here's my suggestions:
      1) Review your settings in System Settings> Window Behavior>Window Behavior and make sure you've selected something you don't want like "Active screen follows mouse"

2) In "Keyboard Shortcuts" you can set a keybinding to switch a window to the "Next Screen" effectively allowing you to manually flip a window from screen to screen. I use "Meta `" because those two keys are near each other and on the left side of the keyboard (mouse is on the right in my world). Now whenever a window begins to open on the wrong screen, I simply tap my left thumb and index finger on the key combo and the window jumps to the other monitor.

3) Run Nvidia-Settings and select "Make this the Primary X Screen" if that option is available. You can also choose the older "Twinview" rather than the newer "Dynamic Twinview" by setting an option in your xorg.conf. Mine looks like:
      Code:
        Option     "TwinView" "1" # Twinview enabled
        Option     "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0" # Make screen DFP-0 the primary screen
        Option     "DynamicTwinView" "false" # Turn off Dynamic features
        Option     "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf" # Monitor 2 is to the left
      I believe Dynamic twinview is for laptop users who plug and unplug monitors. I use a desktop so my monitors are fixed.

4) When you discover a particular program that always disobeys your wishes, this usually means the programmer has set it so. Look into the specific configuration files of these types of programs and consider a specific set of Window Rules for these

While I agree having separate X screens might solve some of this, it would also present other issues like losing the ability to switch an application to the other side. The crux of the issue is that X expects each screen to be independent where the KDE and nVidia developers what to offer more functionality. When you add multiple desktops on top of multiple monitors you can get unwanted behavior. Sorry, but I cannot imagine what combination would cause a window to minimize itself.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've never seen a window on the opposite screen minimize all by itself. They do automatically lose focus which is not the same. Where this bugged me when playing a video and I had "Dim Inactive" selected in desktop effects. I could never get the Advanced Windows Rules to work (a known bug) to prevent the dimming, but I haven't reattempted that since the 4.6 upgrade in KDE.

When I first received your advice, I maintained TwinView, because I believe you said it was preferred. When I was in that configuration and with a video playing on full screen, left monitor, and working project ongoing on the right monitor, every time I would mouse click the working project, it would minimize the video on the left monitor. Eventually after trying different configurations and thoughts produced by others, I tried the alternate separate X Screens option. For quite a while, the screens relocated left to right and right to left. I did not realize that and was troubled having to move the cursor out of the left side of the left screen to enter the right screen. I had to move the cursor out of the right side of the right screen to the left screen to get to the left screen. I returned to TwinView configuration because of this to continue my efforts to correct problems. When I returned to the TwinView configuration, the minimizing of the video stopped happening when mouse-clicking on the opposite screen. It has not happened since. Because I work this problem every now and then still trying to find a solution, I tried separate X screens again and noticed that the screen locations reversed when I made the change. I changed the position and set primary for the display, and the cursor then passed from monitor to monitor as it is supposed to. Since then, I have changed back to TwinView configuration.

I suspect you're caught between a bad mix of Desktop effects and Behavior settings. You didn't say whether you're using Kwin effects or Compiz. I've stayed with Kwin for quite awhile because the ease and relative lack of problems out weigh the gee-wizziness of compiz IMO.

I have always preferred Kwin over Compiz, so that is not a difference. I recently ticked the option 'Automatically group similar windows' (at the same time, I have always ticked 'Switch to automatically grouped windows immediately') but I haven't noticed or understood any differences, although I suppose changes have taken place that I am unaware. I also have checked the option 'Active screen follows mouse' but haven't noticed what that change does.

Here's my suggestions:
        1) Review your settings in System Settings> Window Behavior>Window Behavior and make sure you've selected something you don't want like "Active screen follows mouse"

I may have misunderstood what you wrote here, but "you've" should have been 'you haven't', and then did tick the 'Active screen follows mouse', and it is presently that way, even though it appears you may suggest it to not be ticked. In any event it was not ticked previously. What does having or not having that ticked do to the application? It appears, while I am re-reading that instruction that I SHOULD NOT tick that option, so even before I hear your response, I am un-checking it.

Your item 2:

2) In "Keyboard Shortcuts" you can set a keybinding to switch a window to the "Next Screen" effectively allowing you to manually flip a window from screen to screen. I use "Meta `

If Meta is a keyboard key, I have never used it or know what it is or does. I have not yet learned the keyboard shortcuts. I am a little embarrassed, but there is much that I don't know.

Your item 3:

Option "TwinView" "1" # Twinview enabled
        Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0" # Make screen DFP-0 the primary screen
        Option "DynamicTwinView" "false" # Turn off Dynamic features
        Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf" # Monitor 2 is to the left

I believe this is the comparable portion of my xorg.conf file.

Identifier "Screen0"
        Device "Device0"
        Monitor "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24
        Option "TwinView" "1"
        Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
        Option "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DFP-2: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
        SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        EndSubSection

4) When you discover a particular program that always disobeys your wishes, this usually means the programmer has set it so. Look into the specific configuration files of these types of programs and consider a specific set of Window Rules for these

Firstly, I no longer have the minimize problem, and yet, I have no idea what corrected that problem. When it no longer happened I just changed from TwinView to Separate X Screens and back. Something in that process corrected the problem. I can live with the cross opening problems, I guess, but if it can be corrected, I still want to find the cure. It may be more important to someone else, and it is a nuisance when it only happens once in a while. In addition to the problem, when the opposite screen has a maximized application in the window, it also usually opens under that application. So I have to consider that possibility and minimize the maxed window to see if it is underneath.

Thanks for keeping up with me on this problem, I am learning many new things that are helpful, which are not related to my problem. And, you and your friend in the icon look happy. It is a very attractive photo of two who appear to love each other much. I apologize for any presumption, but your icon lifts my spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
          you can set window rules for a given application.
          rt.click on windows icon advanced ->special application settings

you can set try to play w/ the window placement setting
          system settings->window behavor->Window behavor-> Advanced

i can recall in the past seeing a follow mouse for placement (maybe it was an addon) but in looking for it right now i don't see it, it might be moved to another kcm so take a good look around system settings you might find better options.
          In my Window Behavior - System Settings - Focus tab, 'Active sc reen follows mouse is available. I recently un-checked it. Is that a proper thing to do in your opinion?

Comment

You were correct in your deduction that I meant "you have not" rather than "you have" - good guess! Also correct in un-checking "Active screen follows mouse" unless that was the behavior you desired.

On American keyboards, the "meta" key is usually known as the "Windows" key as many manufacturers put the windows logo on it. I have altered my keyboard so there's now an Ubuntu logo on mine.

I'm glad the small photo of my wife and I (at a Parisian café near the Musée du Louvre) lifted your spirits, as ours were at the time the photo was taken (and still are!). The picture was taken by our (then) barely 5 year-old daughter who's quite the little photographer.

Please post again if you're having more issues. It's very rare that an issue can't be solved by someone on the Forum as long as the poster fully describes the nature and details of the problem itself.

Please Read Me

Comment

The photo exudes joy and is quite a shot for a little one. The emotion she grabbed is marketable because it causes others to affected.

Strangely enough the problem with one monitor minimizing when the other is active has resumed. And the constant opening of the opposite screen has increased. In attempting to resolve the problem, I attempted to open Nvidia Settings; it would not open. I could not find it in Kmenu>Applications>System, but when I went to Synaptic, it said it was installed, so I un-installed and reinstalled hoping to repair the new problem. I also noticed several nvidia packages and installed a few that might help or might be needed in the future. I don't know what happened next. I think I was careless, but when I noticed several key applications being removed during the installation process, I did not know what to do. The system became broken to the point I could not repair it. So much damage was done, I thought it better to reinstall the OS.

Since then it has been a nightmare. I am unable to install a fresh OS and believe that somehow the grub has been changed. GreyGeek has been trying to help me, but I only can access the Internet using a Live CD now. I have never modified or repaired a grub before and am relatively certain I must to proceed. If willing, you might take a look at it. The title of the post is: 'Unable to write to /run/udev/ Emergency for me.' My computer identity is 'Shabakthanai'.

Thanks for all your help and kindness. When I get my system working again, I will start fresh, even with the dual-monitors, so I don't know what will happen. I expect things may change dramatically and perhaps the dual-monitor problem may not appear. :P My best to you and yours.

Comment

Working...
              X