Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for opinions - What's better: LVM or RAID-1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for opinions - What's better: LVM or RAID-1?

I currently have a couple of drives in a LVM. I was thinking of putting another drive in my system for Windows for gaming. So I'd have four physical disks.
    • Disk 1 - Kubuntu Natty
    • Disk 2 - Windows 7
    • Disk 3 - Storage Disk A
    • Disk 4 - Storage Disk B

This is the complicated part... I will want both Kubuntu and Windows to be able to read the Storage A/Storage B combination. I thought about putting them in a RAID and formating the partition as NTFS as linux support for it is fairly good these days. But I've never had very good luck with raid disks in Kubuntu. But this is prior to Maverick and Natty.

I know... It's working now under LVM. Why mess with it!

Re: Looking for opinions - What's better: LVM or RAID-1?

Good advice! (If it is not broke, then don't fix it.)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

hehe Thanks GreyGeek!

If I could read the EXT4 lvm from windows, I wouldn't even bother with the raid.

Comment

Heh -- with that list of disk drives, your computer is starting to look a bit like mine!

But I don't need to boot a real Windows installation, so I can get by with Windows on a VM, and a samba bridge to the Linux host, and all my data is on Linux filesystems. One alternative that you could consider, if have an old PC sitting around not doing anything useful, would be to set up a NAS, using BSD FreeNAS, and let that take care of the common access needs of Windows and Linux. Just another idea for you.

Comment

http://ext2read.blogspot.com/2010/04...-lvm2-and.html
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
          X