This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

straight after install - what to do

I installed kubuntu 10.10 on a computer with windows 7 ultimate (seperate partitions), let it do its updates etc, then set about downloading my favourite programs.

Are there any must-have things I need for smooth functionality? I noticed my browser was a bit glitchy, graphics were corrupted when I scrolled on a website and some php forms just weren't submitted properly. I'm using firefox but have the same issues with Konquerer.

Re: straight after install - what to do

Hi...

What is your system exactly and have you run "Hardware Drivers," (otherwise known as Jockey) under "Applications" and then "System?" Depending upon your hardware, it will (possibly) offer proprietory drivers that offer increased functionality and/or performance. I'm thinking of the graphics here in particular.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

It's an acer aspire d255e netbook
      atom 1.5 ghz
      2bg ddr2
      320gb HDD
      Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

I've not run this jockey thing, never heard of it to be honest

Comment

You might look into the xorg-edgers ppa. Intel graphics are always cruddy.

You said your browser was "glitchy," but you didn't say which browser you are using. I'd suggest installing Firefox and search for a post on how to setup flash.

Please Read Me

Comment

1) What ardvark71 is suggesting is that you should add drivers for the graphics or wi-fi if they are available through this method. Even if you need other drivers, and they are not available through this method, they might be installable by other means.

In 10.04 or 10.10 the name may have changed from "Hardware Drivers" to "Additional drivers".

2) Other things commonly done is to install:

a) the package called: kubuntu-restricted-extras
          this is a "meta-package" and it installs a bunch of useful stuff e.g. Java, MP3 capability, mscorefonts, Flash etc. You need to be "thoughtful" about installing some of these because they are not strictly legal in some countries. (Although you are not likely to get the Thought Police battering down your door!)

2) The medibuntu repository. Look here: http://medibuntu.org/repository.php
          This is useful if you want to play dvds by installing: libdvdcss2 (again not strictly legal in some places) or things like skype from repository.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            You might look into the xorg-edgers ppa. Intel graphics are always cruddy.

You said your browser was "glitchy," but you didn't say which browser you are using. I'd suggest installing Firefox and search for a post on how to setup flash.
            i said in the original post that I was using firefox and konquerer. And while I recognise I will never get high performance graphics on a netbook with onboard intel chipset, I would expect to be able to scroll through a wall of text smoothly, without new lines and old lines being jumbled up.

thanks for the suggestionms

Comment

Read here: http://ubuntuku.org/10/how-to-fix-in...untu-maverick/
              ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Ubuntuku's link is good stuff. If that doesn't work please post the output of:

Code:
                lspci | grep VGA
                That'll tell you your chipset and provides you with something meaningful to google for.
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

When the resources of your computer are a bit low for smooth operation it helps greatly to switch off desktop-effects (compositing).
                  This can be toggled by clicking:
                  Alt+Shift+F12

I can recommend the new Firefox 4.0!

Comment

Working...
                  X