X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 10.10 no audio on SB0400 Audigy2 Value

Hello all,

I've returned to Linux after a 5 year or so hiatus, and the past few months I've been using Ubuntu 10.10. Everything worked out of the box except audio. I was able remedy my problem by installing gnome-alsamixer and ticking a few boxes, as detailed in a forum thread here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/fix-for-no...4-to-9-10.html

I recently downloaded the Kubuntu .iso and have been giving it a try from the live CD. Again, like Ubuntu, I got everything up and running except audio. However, now I can't use the Gnome-specific interface to fix my audio, and I've seen no relevant options under KMix or through the system settings.

I have what I thought was an "Audigy 4" (I could have sworn the box said so), but Ubuntu/Kubuntu recognizes the card as a SB0400 Audigy2 Value. I'll paste the hardware specific info obtained from the 'lshw' command below. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the audio working, I would greatly appreciate it! I really like KDE, and want to move over to Kubuntu, but I absolutely need sound to do so.

Thanks!

*-multimedia
    description: Multimedia audio controller
    product: SB0400 Audigy2 Value
    vendor: Creative Labs
    physical id: 8
    bus info: pci@0000:02:08.0
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=EMU10K1_Audigy latency=32 maxlatency=20 mingnt=2
    resources: irq:18 ioport:9c00(size=64)

Re: Kubuntu 10.10 no audio on SB0400 Audigy2 Value

Have you tried "Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers"? - http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

Question #6. No Audio.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I've tried everything I could run across (that I understood) linked to that thread, and I have had a little bit of luck, but not a complete fix. I've installed alsamixer, everything looks right there and it recognizes a 5.1 setup. However, the only way I've gotten any sound is through pavucontrol. I'm able to get sound with the Digital Stereo Duplex (IEC958) profile from my front left and front right speakers. I cannot get 5.1 support, even after having tried all of the 5.1 options (only analog options were available for 5.1) in the profiles list.

So I'm glad to have sound. Can anyone help me get full 5.1 from my system?

Comment

5.1? Look at http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2010...tem-51-in.html
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

This PC's sound card (Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2) does not work out-of-the-box. Luckily it is easy to fix with "gnome-alsamixer".

Install and start gnome-alsamixer

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

gnome-alsamixer

Correct setup for Audigy 2 is shown in this picture... Do not forget to unmute the Master and PCM sliders. These are the most important ones.
          (ref: Installation of Ubuntu Linux 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat))
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I noticed while using Digital Stereo Duplex profile, I seem to actually have 5.1...when I crank up the volume I feel air coming through the sub. I was thrown because this profile only lets you adjust the front left and front right speakers.

@arochester - Thanks for that link, I will take a look and see what I can do with it.

@Snowhog - your fix is exactly how I got my sound up while using Ubuntu, but when I first tried to install gnome-alsamixer in Kubuntu, it couldn't find the package/wouldn't install/whatever. I may try that again for the hell of it, too.

Thanks for your replies!

Comment

gnome-alsamixer is available for installation here on my 10.10 install. Verify that you have all the 'default' repositories enabled, update the cache, and try installing it again.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X