This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message Indicator applet and Kmail

Does anyone here use the message indicator applet with Kmail? I have Kmail configured to use the applet under configure>accounts but the applet does not recognize Kmail as running. The applet does work with Quassel. I am using KDE 4.6. I filed a bug report, but thought I would see if anyone here has had a similar problem.
    Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.<br />Joseph Campbell

Re: Message Indicator applet and Kmail

Originally posted by Balthazar
    Does anyone here use the message indicator applet with Kmail? I have Kmail configured to use the applet under configure>accounts but the applet does not recognize Kmail as running. The applet does work with Quassel. I am using KDE 4.6. I filed a bug report, but thought I would see if anyone here has had a similar problem.
    Hi,

I use message indicator applet with KMail all the time (on KDE 4.5 and KDE 4.6). And it works fine here, except that it doesn't launch KMail through its menu (and this seems like a bug). What dou you mean by "the applet does not recognize Kmail as running"? I'm asking you this because if you already enabled indicator support through Kmail and also Kmail's tray support through Settings->Appearance->System Tray and you still don't see a KMail enty on the indicator menu at all, then it isn't running, and there is a problem for sure But if you see a KMail entry in indicator menu BUT you can't launch through it, then just check that if Kmail is running as a background process (press CTRL + ESC, then search for "kmail"). Because if you can see KMail enty on indicator applet menu, it means that Kmail is running as a background process and not as a whole application (the behaviour of Kmail is different in Kubuntu + KDE indicator applet from Evolutin on Ubuntu + GNOME indicator applet). Yet it will notify you when you have new mails in your inbox.

Regards.

Comment

I actually screwed up kmail trying to get this to work, so I had to downgrade to a previous package (1.13.5) Message indicator is now working properly. My bug report was closed, so it must have just been a buggy install. Oh well, it is working now.
      Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.<br />Joseph Campbell

Comment

Kmail 1.13.5 is the latest stable version of Kmail in kde 4.6 - anything from the "kmail2" probably has not even had the Ubuntu-specific message-indicator support fully added yet.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have kubuntu-backports ppa active, and I think that is how kmail2 wound up on my system. Reverting caused some problems with Akonadi, but I got that sorted pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Balthazar
            Thanks for the info. I have kubuntu-backports ppa active, and I think that is how kmail2 wound up on my system. Reverting caused some problems with Akonadi, but I got that sorted pretty quickly.
            no, the kmail in kubuntu-backports is the stable version, kdepim beta4 (kmail2) is probably from kubuntu experimental

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
              no, the kmail in kubuntu-backports is the stable version, kdepim beta4 (kmail2) is probably from kubuntu experimental
              True - I'm running KDE PIM 4.6 and KMail2 on 10.10 via the Experimental Repository. I've never been brave enough to run from experimental before, but the KDE PIM upgrade was necessary because of the KMail copy > paste bug where all of the HTML was copied along with the text. So far, I'm really liking PIM 4.6 (currently beta 4)
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
              X