This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux equivalent to Frontpage 2003?

Found this thread, but hasn't been updated since 2007.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=12717.0

I've used Frontpage 2003, and would like to know if anybody can recommend something similar for Linux. I'm looking for a simple WYSIWYG editor, with the ability to upload the pages created to the domain that I own.

Is NVU still the recommended program? Thanks!

Re: Linux equivalent to Frontpage 2003?

Look at KompoZer
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

http://webdesign.about.com/od/htmled...tpwyslinux.htm

not shur if that's what ya wanted........I used to make a web page in Quanta+ but wavent in a long time so ......................

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

O and hear I found this in the package manager

TinyMCE is a platform independent web based Javascript HTML WYSIWYG editor
        VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

That's two votes for Kompozer, and I've also heard of Seamonkey, so I'll check out both. Thanks all.

Comment

Kompozer is the one looking and working the most like Frontpage. But you'll have to get used to it.
            FrontPage writes code that works most of the time only well in Internet Explorer, and even in Internet Explorer 8 there are often problems. It hasn't been updated for ages and Microsoft, the maker, has been advising for years to stop using it. If you have a bit of bad luck you'll see nothing at all in Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, etc.. Or half of the page disappears, things like that.
            Kompozer writes code that works well (or is supposed to work well) in every browser, because it follows the standard. But because it writes far better code, it will take some time to learn it.
            As far as I know Kompozer is the only wysiwyg-editor on Linux. In all other editors you have to write code yourself, more or less, as far as I know.

Comment

+1 for Kompozer. It's what I use now and I find it to be the best. Prior to finding that, I used Bluefish: http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
              Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

This might help: http://linuxappfinder.com/

Comment

Hi
                  I cut my teeth on FrontPage 2000 and just have never been able to use a Linux app. As noted above "one has to get used to it".

One of the reasons why Microsith wants to get rid of FrontPage is because they are now pushing their "Expression Suite" and "Expression Web" a way expensive set of apps, that if you are somebody working in a "suite" ...no pun intended in New York for a web development company then it has a lot of stuff that does, indeed, do a lot of...stuff!

However, I did a webpage for a politician here using FrontPage and if ........

IF one keeps it SIMPLE..... just the facts mam! as Joe Friday usedta say....then I, personally, that I I personally, did not see any problems. And the guy uses a MAC lappy and it worked in that one ok.

But the key is SIMPLE.... the only thing I did that was "different" was to put a banner of the fellow at the top.

But, there is another reason why Microsith wants you to get away from FrontPage...it has FrontPage "extensions"..one of them is a "hit counter"... and it works very well registering the number of a "hits" on a page...now the REST of it gets complicatidy.... you have to set up a small database to see where the IPS were from, whether it is a bot or all that what not...

And you can easily get that from the hosting company now for 8 bucks a month so why go to the trouble...really....

I can see Microsth's point from THAT standpoint, really I can.

The latest website I did I did using a webhosts generic stuff and I have more statistics than I know what to do with, e-mail you name it ...8 bucks a month....

So.............as to "getting used" to the Linux apps....

Here is a thought......

Search around on the web hosting sites and find one that provides BOTH LInux and FrontPage setups....

Really....

One of them is HostLane......they provide both and they do not do any "sniffing of the nose" at Linux, they want the 8 bucks a month and will take all comers!!!

for maybe less than 10 bucks a month you get a domain name you name it e-mail etc.

Do the site first in FrontPage and then REdo the site while you are "getting to learn" the Linux apps that THEY provide free of charge...and then reset the whole thing in Linux hosting...it was actually cheaper by a buck when was looking around.

HostLane has a bunch of downloadable apps for both Windblows and Linux systems you can install or uninstall at a moment's notice..

Just suck that FrontPage thingy down into the Linux app and have at it!!!

When you have learned all the ins and outs....then switch over to the Linux hosting plan..

just a thought... and it is what I am fiddling with now..."getting used to the app"...

woodsmoke

Comment

I think it's really a bad idea first making a site in FrontPage and then rebuilding it in another wysiwyg-editor.
                    I'm not a Linux guru, but writing manuals about building sites is my profession, so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to FrontPage etc.
                    If you have luck with FrontPage, everything works in all browsers. If you have very, very, very much luck. But.
                    FrontPage makes HTML that's not standard. Most of the time it's almost impossible to rebuild a site made in Frontpage and you have to start all over again. And why build a site first in a non-standard way? Why not build it right away in a standard way?
                    FrontPage uses the wrong box model (among many other problems). As soon as you really start using borders, margins, etc, you'll have problems. It uses no document type: trouble guaranteed in every good browser, including very often even Internet Explorer 7/8.
                    If you have really bad luck it inserts VML, Vector Markup Language. That's a Microsoft-only language. Every other browser, including finally IE 9, uses the w3c-standard SVG. If FrontPage inserts VML, you'll really have problems in other browsers (including IE 8 ), because they can't read that language.

The reason Microsoft wants people to get away from FrontPage has nothing to do with selling Expression. Microsoft itself has free alternatives for FrontPage (free as in beer). Microsoft put FrontPage on every computer as part of Windows because of the browser war. FrontPage made code that only worked well in Internet Explorer and not in Netscape (the other big player at the time). If their plan had worked out well, by now everybody had have to use Internet Explorer and Windows (and probably had to pay Microsoft for sending a mail, visiting a site, etc.)

Netscape turned into Firefox (via a long route). Because the success of Firefox Microsoft was forced to build IE 7. Forced, that's why it's such a crappy browser (IE 8 is much better). They had to build IE 7 in a hurry.
                    Thanks to Firefox (and Safari and Opera) Microsoft was forced to start using standards in their browsers. Sites that were only build for IE started to loose too many visitors.

Today lots of companies still have to use IE 6, because their internal network/apps are not standard and only work in IE 6.

It's far from me to defend Microsoft, it's one of the most horrible companies that ever existed. But in this case they don't do it for the money: they were simply forced to quit IE 6. And there's no use for Microsoft to persuade people building sites in IE 6 anymore. They would only get angry customers. "I used FrontPage and my site doesn't work!" That's why they have been advising for years now to stop using IE 6.

Of course everybody is free to do what she wants. But I get almost daily questions "I made it in FrontPage, it worked so well in IE, why doesn't it look good in Chrome, or ...?" Most of the time you really can give only one advice: start all over again NOT with FrontPage.
                    Why on earth would somebody take the risk they can start all over again?

The biggest problem if you stop using FrontPage is not the app itself. It doesn't take too much time to get to know the menu and the buttons of another app. It's because Kompozer (and other standard-compliant apps) write completely different code. You have to get used to the way the code is build. It has nothing to do with Linux or Windows, it really is the code.
                    FrontPage, for one thing, doesn't use css. All other apps by now do.
                    There's a version of Kompozer for Windows too. But switching between FrontPage and Kompozer on Windows is exactly as difficult as switching to Kompozer on Linux.

Pretty long story, but I thought it's good to know for people starting building sites. Every time I (or one of my colleagues) has to say "you can start all over again" we make somebody very unhappy. They put a lot of work in it and it doesn't work.

And we have to say that pretty often, because I live in Holland and that's completely addicted to Windows. So till the day of today FrontPage is used a LOT here.

In the first post there was a question about nvu.
                    You shouldn't use nvu anymore. In the original Mozilla there was a sitebuilder: Composer. Mozilla was split in parts. One of the parts was Composer. Composer was renamed to nvu. Nvu was open source, so the company Lindows could go on developing it.
                    Lindows doesn't exist anymore. But because of that nice patents and copyright nobody is allowed to use the name 'nvu' for any new version. Because it's open source somebody just took the code and renamed it to Kompozer.
                    So Kompozer is exactly the same as nvu, only the name is different. And it's far better of course, because nvu isn't developed anymore. Lots of bugs are gone in Kompozer and it has much more possibilities.

But the best html, css, etc, is still written by hand. Even the most expensive program still doesn't make really good code. But for not too complicated sites Kompozer is very usable.

Comment

Working...
                    X