This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for backing up Linux

Could anyone recommend a simple program for backing up and, if necessary, restoring a system? The Linux equivalent to windows "system restore" or something similar that even a noob can use. Thanks

Re: Suggestions for backing up Linux

sbackup does scheduled full and incremental backups, all simple and set up in a GUI. I use it, though it does have some gnome dependencies

Keep is the KDE app that is similar, and is installed by default in Kubuntu

Comment

Personally, I like KDAR because it's extremely flexible. Of course that means it's not as simple to set up as Keep. That does not mean that it requires a degree in CSci to get it going, but you do have to know what you want to backup and how you want to do it. Then KDAR walks you through the setup. As always, Linux is all about choice.

Comment

You might want to look into backing up your partition image:
        http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partimage.html
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Speaking of Keep. I tried a back-up, but it only wants to write back-ups to the /home directory. You can choose another place, but it has permission issues. The thing is I do have full permission to all files as administrator. What's the work around?

Comment

You may not have write permission for the destination directory

Comment

I'd suggest starting it with kdesu. That's the way I use kdar.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I'll probably try all of them to see which one I like. I do have one question though. Does having Gnome dependencies mean I'll have to install Gnome to use Sbackup? Will it cause configuration problems with KDE?

Comment

No. Many "Gnome" applications will take certain GTK libraries along with them, but you do not have to install the entire Gnome desktop environment.
                  Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                    I'd suggest starting it with kdesu. That's the way I use kdar.
                    Thanks. Back-up is running as I'm typing, no complaints so far. I trust it will do! BTW, will Keep run on schedule even though another user might be logged on at the time?

Comment

Working...
                    X