This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I install the latest NVidia drivers? [Resolved]

[edit] I thought I needed detailed (step by step) instructions to install the latest NVidia driver on Kubuntu x64, but I just needed to look for Hardware Driver Updates. [/edit]

I have recently performed a clean install (including a drive format) of Kubuntu 10.04 x64. I have since installed updates and rebooted a few times.
    As I need to install the latest NVidia driver for my GPU (200series) I downloaded the latest driver to my documents folder, and set properties, but I do not know how to go any further.

How do I install the driver?
    Direct any help to a total N00b to Kubuntu with very little knowledge of other Linux/Unix versions.

(Q6600 system, 200GB drive, 4GB RAM).

I did have a go at installing the driver in text mode, but the Kubuntu step through instructions I used were too dated (2009), and I got error messages. So I really need an up to date “How To Install NVidia drivers for Kubuntu N00bs”.

Advice such as "boot into runlevel 3" and “you need kernel header package installer" is way over my head, and looking at a black screen without line by line instructions won't get me far. Sorry, N00b here.

If someone could give me some detailed advice or direct me to another page/site I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Re: How can I install the latest NVidia drivers?

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0
    Caution! GUI will be gone after kernel update with nvidia install.

I have had good luck with this.
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

Search this forum, there are many threads about nvidia drivers.
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

Re: How can I install the latest NVidia drivers?

Thanks for the reply.
      I actually found it and it was really easy, no black screen command typing!

Kick Off Application Launcher Icon (bottom left),
      Application,
      System,
      Hardware Drivers.
      Just let the tool look for drivers. It found the proprietary driver from NVidia, downloaded it and installed it. I just clicked activate and restarted the system.

Wont be updating the system any time soon, its just a crunching rig.

Thanks,

Comment

Re: How can I install the latest NVidia drivers? [Resolved]

Hey well thanks for thinking/(writing) outloud. You helped another noob. I just replaced my stock ATI card with an inexpensive NVIDIA. Didn't even think to check the "Additional Drivers" button because it hadn't worked with the ATI card.

Comment

Working...
        X