This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.04lts vs 10.10

I have both 10.04 LTS and 10.10 install with backport enabled on 10.04.What is the difference between the two,other then time supported and the kernel ?

Re: 10.04lts vs 10.10

newer kernel versions (ie drivers and other hardware support)
    Newer core library versions (dbus, xorg, etc)

imo kde 4.5.1 is much more stable in Maverick than in Lucid - mostly due to the fact that 4.5.1 was initially built on Maverick then 'backported' down to Lucid. I think the older dbus version in lucid is causing some problems for many with Dolphin, for example. Of course running 10.10 has other things going against it at times as it is still a work-in-progress

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
      I think the older dbus version in lucid is causing some problems for many with Dolphin, for example.
      On KDE.news, Alejandro Nova replied to the August 31, 2010 KDE Releases 4.5.1 post comment concerning Dolphin 'laginess':
      There is a reason why your distro doesn't carry still KDE 4.5 by default. Check your DBus package. If it's 1.2.2x, you'll certainly have delays. If you run 1.3.1, you are saved from all delays. Wait a little bit... the major distro refresh is not too far.

If you run Ubuntu, add this PPA and follow the instructions in this page.
      https://launchpad.net/~aleksander-m/...us-development

If you run Fedora, DOWNLOAD THIS SOURCE RPM
      http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=179429
      After that, recompile it with rpmbuild --rebuild.
      DO NOT DOWNLOAD A NEWER RELEASE (unless you really want to switch to Fedora 14, the dbus 1.3.2-snapshot there has support for SystemD)

If you run Arch Linux, then install this package from AUR
      http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=37728
      This is dbus 1.2.24 with the race condition bugfix patched in. It will work great, but can break another apps, so beware.

After that, your KDE will be snappy.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        I think the older dbus version in lucid is causing some problems for many with Dolphin, for example.
        On KDE.news, Alejandro Nova replied to the August 31, 2010 KDE Releases 4.5.1 post comment concerning Dolphin 'laginess':
        There is a reason why your distro doesn't carry still KDE 4.5 by default. Check your DBus package. If it's 1.2.2x, you'll certainly have delays. If you run 1.3.1, you are saved from all delays. Wait a little bit... the major distro refresh is not too far.

If you run Fedora, DOWNLOAD THIS SOURCE RPM
        http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=179429
        After that, recompile it with rpmbuild --rebuild.
        DO NOT DOWNLOAD A NEWER RELEASE (unless you really want to switch to Fedora 14, the dbus 1.3.2-snapshot there has support for SystemD)

If you run Arch Linux, then install this package from AUR
        http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=37728
        This is dbus 1.2.24 with the race condition bugfix patched in. It will work great, but can break another apps, so beware.

After that, your KDE will be snappy.
        Well, this is very interesting. I have both Lucid and Maverick on my two computers (feature-wise they are very different, except that both machines have an ATI radeon X1K series GPU), and I still can't use dolphin unless I kill the nepomukserver which is takin 80-100% CPU right from the start (and note that, strigi is not enabled at all). Dolphin and my overall systems on both computers become completely unusable when I just log in, so I have to disable nepomuk permanenty. I'm very disappointed with KDE's semantic desktop components. I've nerver been able to use them since KDE 4.3 > As I have also posted elsewhere on this forum, nepomuk/strigi is still not working at all on my native language. I have to set system language to english, to get it work. I've filed a bug report with all the debug information, but As of KDE 4.5.1, it is certainly not fixed yet. Which means that I probably won't be able to use the new KDE PIM suite either

There is also another bug (mainly) on maverick: Whenever I try to restore a minimized window I'm imemdiately thrown back to KDE login screen. This is a persistent and reproducible behaviorur. Also, same behavior happens RANDOMLY when I attemt to change desktops. etc. This happens ONLY when desktop compositing of Kwin is active.
        And I found out that this happens only on new xorg packages; for, when I installed xorg files from xorg-fresk-crack ppa, it also happened on Lucid Lynx with KDe 4.5.x. Whether this is a bug on opensource xorg radeon drivers or other components of xorg stack, I don't know. I checked the system logs, but couldn't find anything related.

But overall experience of mavercik meerkat is much better than Lucid Lynx, even in this beta stage. Rekonq (AFAIK it is using QTWebkit 2) is the new default browser, and it seems heavily improved. Also, the user management module is working again (at last!)

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by oblivion
          There is also another bug (mainly) on maverick: Whenever I try to restore a minimized window I'm imemdiately thrown back to KDE login screen.
          I got rid of that by switching "keep window thumbnails" to "always" in SystemSettings>DesktopEffects>Advanced.

The desktop effects are a bit iffy (crashy) with newer xorg and drivers (which is why I currently have the effects disabled)

Comment

imo kde 4.5.1 is much more stable in Maverick than in Lucid
            Not true, 4.5.1 (just like 4.5.0) is rock solid for me on Lucid.

Which instructions? There are no special instructions on that page (like there are e.g. on the xorg bleeding edge page), it just says "Development version of DBus (1.3.1)". The link below that only has general Dbus information.
            There's nothing but the ordinary info you'll find on every ppa page.
            Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
              imo kde 4.5.1 is much more stable in Maverick than in Lucid
              Not true, 4.5.1 (just like 4.5.0) is rock solid for me on Lucid.
              As I said, imo it is more stable in maverick - I do not have the dolphin slowdown issue in maverick that I see in Lucid. And Maverick's dbus is newer than Lucid's, but not the 1.3.x version mentioned. (which is NOT a stable release btw)

Which instructions? There are no special instructions on that page (like there are e.g. on the xorg bleeding edge page), it just says "Development version of DBus (1.3.1)". The link below that only has general Dbus information.
              There's nothing but the ordinary info you'll find on every ppa page.
              Yup, that is all you need. I would take the wording as the author simply made a bad sentence, or perhaps a language goof. There isn't anything special to do outside of adding the repo and updating. It is up to the ppa's owner to add any useful info (or not), with the assumption any ppa has that you use it at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
              X