This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help with sound

Hello all, I seem to be having an issue here. If you could give me a hand I'd appreciate it. :-)

I just recently got my Kubuntu 10.04 online, and that worked well. I downloaded Flash 10 as a plugin when prompted and, although I've used it well it does not play sound. Thinking this was a Firefox issue I went and looked in the Firefox guides, only to find that the issue was supposedly resolved with Flash 10.

Were this not enough, I've found that sound actually selectively works throughout my system. Amarok plays MP3 files just fine, but SecondLife doesn't play sound at all and neither does DreamChess or Frozen-Bubble. (I haven't tested any of the other games on the system yet). I've been through SecondLife's readme for the sound and installed (and ran) the esound package with no success in that area. Any ideas would be helpful, as I'm rather stumped. As of right now this and some minor problems getting Compiz to run are my only issues and this is the only important one. :-)

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Zeta

PS) Just in case anything here is relevant:
    * What release of Kubuntu you are using: Kubuntu 10.04
    * Is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation): No, it's on it's own partition
    * What version of KDE you are using: Whatever came with 10.04, I believe it's 4.0+
    * What version of Grub you are using: Grub 2, and I'm annoyed by it
    * What other Operating Systems are installed: Windows XP
    * Type (Desktop or laptop): Desktop
    * CPU (Central Processor Unit): AMD 64-bit
    * GPU (Graphics Processor Unit): Nividia, can't remember the exact info at this second.
    * RAM (how much installed): 3Gig
    * HDs (number of and type internal): 1 300gig internal.
    * Optical Drives (number of and type interna): 1 DVD+-RW internal.

Re: Need some help with sound

Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and select "Show Mixer Window". Then click the mixer button. Make sure the PCM slider is turned up. If there is no PCM option, click "settings" and then "configure channels" and add PCM to the mixer window.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Wow, I actually feel somewhat retarded for not figuring that out myself. Thank you! Works great; had to add it manually, but after that worked just fine.

Out of sheer curiosity, what *is* the PCM setting, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeta Omega

Out of sheer curiosity, what *is* the PCM setting, if you don't mind me asking?
        Your research project can begin here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation

Comment

Working...
        X