X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok on Kubuntu 10.4 wont play audio from cd

Hello,
    I have installed Kubuntu inside windows on a compaq c500 laptop running Vista.
    Many functions work but I have a couple of problems.
    The first is amarok wont run audio cd from the cd rom drive. I can rip files
    and play the ripped wave files.
    I have selected use amarok in the cd log in screen, but when I go to amarok
    it does not sense the cdrom selection even after I select play full cd Wave
    Files.
    I assume this is due to my Kubuntu ignorance, I would appreciate any info.

The second problem is an text message about obtaining a wireless driver
    tha disappears to read in boot up and down. The wireless driver under Vista
    works fine but apparently was not detected on insatall.

Thanks for any help on either of these two subjects.

Re: Amarok on Kubuntu 10.4 wont play audio from cd

Welcome to KFN!

No, it isn't ignorance, at least, not on your part.

Amarok sucks when it comes to using it for playing audio CDs. Sorry, but that is just the plain truth. Myself and many others have complained about the "new" Amarok not being a step forward other than in appearance. I've given up using it for my music - I use VLC instead. Others are using Rythmbox, Bangarang, etc.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Amarok 2.3.1 Now plays my audio cd's

Comment

I've heard from some people that their new Amarok is working but it has never done the trick for me.

I'm using http://audacious-media-player.org/ because I, too, gave up on Amarok.
        Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
        Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Welcome to KFN!

Amarok sucks when it comes to using it for playing audio CDs. Sorry, but that is just the plain truth. Myself and many others have complained about the "new" Amarok not being a step forward other than in appearance. I've given up using it for my music - I use VLC instead. Others are using Rythmbox, Bangarang, etc.
          I agree - Amarok sucks for playing audio CDs. It says it recognizes the CD, but won't add the tracks to the playlist, so it never plays the CD. I like vlc, but even with it, every minute or so, the sound briefly cuts in and out. Kaffeine will only play the first track of an audio cd, and it won't show a playlist. I'll have to check out a couple of the others you mentioned. Thanks.
          ~George
          Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
          Linux user #347469

Comment

I use VLC for just about everything. Amarok has failed to impress me especially since I use the GStreamer backend over the XINE backend for sound.

Comment

Not to try to change your minds, but the Amarok developers are working hard with the VLC and Phonon developers to get a phonon-VLC backend working, which will be the true supra-OS solution; useful in linux, windows and mac-os.

If you are interested in trying out the phonon-VLC backend now, you can build it from source, following instructions here: http://blogs.fsfe.org/myriam/2010/04...d-here-you-go/

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                I use VLC for just about everything. Amarok has failed to impress me especially since I use the GStreamer backend over the XINE backend for sound.
                VLC rocks. The little anomaly that I experienced was that the sound would briefly cut in and out every now and then when I would play an audio cd. It might occur 20 seconds into the cd, then again at 1 min 20 sec, 2 min 20 sec. The problem was I had my desktop wallpaper set to change every minute. So apparently, as the wallpaper changed, there would be a little blip in the sound. So now, when I listen to an audio cd in vlc, I set the desktop activity to a static image. Problem solved.

Still looking forward to see if the Amarok developers will fix the audio cd problem. In the meantime, I'll stay with vlc for audio cds.
                ~George
                Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
                Linux user #347469

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  Welcome to KFN!

I'd totally agree....it's not much more than a pretty little app...other than that? Pfff...toss it. Use Rythmbox or VLC instead...

Comment

Working...
                  X