This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Laptop Harddrive

I am wanting to learn "Linux" and have decided to install a new HD in an Acer Aspire 5000. The original has (80gb) yet Acer has partitioned the drive to another 35GB, which they call "D". This leaves 35GB for Windows XP. So I thought I would get a new HD and partition it so that I could say run a few different Linux versions.
    I have done some reading and all that I can come up with is that I should install Kubuntu and then do the partitioning of the HD. Is this the best way of approaching this or have I missed something.
    What I have been able to figure out is that "Acerdata (D is basically an empty drive partition. I moved the few files that were there over to my "C" drive and have reformatted "D".
    So now the question is, can I use this 35GB to install Kubuntu, and then upon start up decide which OS I want to use.?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New Laptop Harddrive

You can install Kubuntu into the 35 GB partition and the grub bootloader will automatically find and allow you to boot any of the existing operating systems.
    Acer Aspire 5810TZ - Debian Sid (KDE 4.5.3)/Mac OS X 10.6.3<br />*Intel Pentium SU2700 @ 1.3GHz, 3 gig DDR3 RAM, Intel GMA x4500*<br /><br />Custom Desktop - Kubuntu 10.10 (KDE 4.6.1)<br />*2x Dual-Core Intel Xeon @3.2GHz, 3 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT*<br /><br />iPod Touch 4th Gen - iOS 4.1 (Greenpois0n Jailbreak)<br />*

Comment

Originally posted by gnarly
      So now the question is, can I use this 35GB to install Kubuntu, and then upon start up decide which OS I want to use.?
      Originally posted by 14joyce
      You can install Kubuntu into the 35 GB partition and the grub bootloader will automatically find and allow you to boot any of the existing operating systems.
      While 14joyce has answered your question fully already a bit more background info:

Kubuntu comes with a bootloader called grub. A bootloader sits at the beginning of your drive, namely the MBR (master boot record). On installation grub checks your drive(s) for bootable operating systems and will list them in its menu which you will see when you next boot the computer. In your case it would show two operating systems: first kubuntu and second xp. Obviously kubuntu would be the default , but you can change that if you decide you don't like it.

HTH
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thanks to you both for your info. I was able to make 2 partitions out of the 35GB "D" and now have the option of installing 2 OS's.
        I will try to get at this shortly and get back with the outcome of my adventure.

Comment

You need to be aware that you will need a swap partition as well if you want stuff like suspend or hibernate to work. But install by all means, it probably won't be your last time as there are plenty of things to think about when organising your partitions. Have a look at my signature, the faqs - I believe dibl put a link in there for a proper partitioning scheme
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X