This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video card upgrade freezes keyboard and mouse

First, I apologize for posting a Ubuntu question here but I usually use Kubuntu and decided to install Ubuntu on an old PC I was going to give to a friend.

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 using Live CD on an ancient computer with 1 GB memory and a really ancient 8 Mb AGP video card - and everything worked fine. But I got tired of the 800 x 600 max video resolution of the 8 Mb card, so I installed a 64M ATI AGP card. It seems to boot fine and then right at the very end after the main screen comes up - the keyboard and mouse freeze. It does this when I boot from the LiveCD as well. Any ideas?

Re: Video card upgrade freezes keyboard and mouse

I had a similar problem last year and it turned out to be the video card. Hopefully, you've found another solution in your case, going back to the old card would be a bummer.

Comment

Well, since the splash screen works fine, and the main screen comes up OK before it freezes, I'd like to find a solution other than giving up. Any ideas, anyone? I'd try reinstalling 9.10 with the new video card, but it freezes up using the Live CD so I can't do that.

Comment

you could try booting to recovery mode and doing the fix x ,reconfigur x ? somthing like that .........I havent ben to the recovery screen in a long time

or the root shell and do
        Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
        but the card may or may not work with the old box ?? not being abel to boot the cd isent promising try one of the F1-6 options ....like vesa mabey or safe graficks

allso go into the BIOS and look for options to incress vid agp ram size or eney other options to set up vid card setings!!

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X