This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to WPA/WPA2 encrypted wireless networks

I have a Dell Latitude D610 on wich I have a dual-boot config with Kubuntu 9.10 and Win 7.
    With Win 7 I can connect to all wireless networks but with Kubuntu I can't connect to WPA/WPA2 encrypted wireless networks. Non-encrypted wireless networks and wired networks works fine with Kubuntu though.

I have tried with Kubuntu's default network manager and WICD but with no luck.
    WPA_supplicant is installed and running. Using ipw2200 drivers and wext.
    Also tried to manually connect with wpa_supplicant editing wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/network/interfaces but it can't connect.

Here's what WICD log says after a connectionattempt:
    2010/02/02 18:42:27 :: Connecting to wireless network Limhamn
    2010/02/02 18:42:28 :: Putting interface down
    2010/02/02 18:42:28 :: Releasing DHCP leases...
    2010/02/02 18:42:28 :: Setting false IP...
    2010/02/02 18:42:28 :: Stopping wpa_supplicant
    2010/02/02 18:42:28 :: Flushing the routing table...
    2010/02/02 18:42:28 :: Putting interface up...
    2010/02/02 18:42:28 :: Generating psk...
    2010/02/02 18:42:28 :: Attempting to authenticate...
    2010/02/02 18:42:29 :: Running DHCP
    2010/02/02 18:42:29 :: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.2
    2010/02/02 18:42:29 :: Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
    2010/02/02 18:42:29 :: All rights reserved.
    2010/02/02 18:42:29 :: For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
    2010/02/02 18:42:29 ::
    2010/02/02 18:42:30 :: Listening on LPF/eth1/00:13:ce:11:95:78
    2010/02/02 18:42:30 :: Sending on LPF/eth1/00:13:ce:11:95:78
    2010/02/02 18:42:30 :: Sending on Socket/fallback
    2010/02/02 18:42:33 :: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
    2010/02/02 18:42:39 :: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
    2010/02/02 18:42:50 :: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
    2010/02/02 18:43:05 :: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 19
    2010/02/02 18:43:24 :: DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
    2010/02/02 18:43:34 :: No DHCPOFFERS received.
    2010/02/02 18:43:34 :: No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
    2010/02/02 18:43:44 :: DHCP connection failed
    2010/02/02 18:43:44 :: exiting connection thread
    2010/02/02 18:43:44 :: Sending connection attempt result dhcp_failed

I know it looks like I don't get an IP-address from the DHCP-server but since there's no problems at all connecting to the same SSID when I turn the encryption off I really don't think that's the problem.

Any ideas? I would really like to use Kubuntu as primary OS on this laptop.

Re: Can't connect to WPA/WPA2 encrypted wireless networks

2010/02/02 18:43:34 :: No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
    2010/02/02 18:43:44 :: DHCP connection failed
    2010/02/02 18:43:44 :: exiting connection thread
    2010/02/02 18:43:44 :: Sending connection attempt result dhcp_failed
    You didn't ever get an IP. Either DHCP server isn't responding correctly or it is your network card configuration. I've had issues on D810s. I can try testing with 9.10 Live CD, but it won't be until tonight. I'm still going to ask a question that may seem obvious, but must be asked. In WIN7, you do get an IP from your DHCP? Just verify that. Make sure an IP isn't statically assigned to the WIN7 side of the system. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
      You didn't ever get an IP. Either DHCP server isn't responding correctly or it is your network card configuration. I've had issues on D810s. I can try testing with 9.10 Live CD, but it won't be until tonight. I'm still going to ask a question that may seem obvious, but must be asked. In WIN7, you do get an IP from your DHCP? Just verify that. Make sure an IP isn't statically assigned to the WIN7 side of the system. Let me know.
      Thanks for helping me!

I do get a real "fresh" IP-adress from the DHCP in Win 7 and I get (another) one from the same DHCP in Kubuntu when I connect to the wired network and when I turn the WPA/WPA2 encryption off in the wireless network. Now the DHCP-server is in our Juniper NetScreen router and I tried to disable it and enable the DHCP-server in the AP instead but with the same result. I've also tried setting a static IP-address and then I get the message "Unable to connect" in matter of seconds.

And it's the same both at work and at home in similar conditions.

Comment

I get the message "Unable to connect" in matter of seconds.
        That tells me then that it is something due to the wireless card or setup. I'll see what I can find for you.

Comment

From what I've seen, you might need to use NDISWRAPPER. Do you know what card is in the system? Dell has always either used Intel or their own card. The first link below may help. the second link might as well.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...e-d610-683367/

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tude-d610.html

I also ran across something I tend to forget about. Have you run "Hardware Drivers" (located under System from the KMenu) to see if it happens to list you wireless card? It may be that the wrong driver is being used.

Comment

I have the Intel Pro Wireless 2200 card and the ipw2200-driver is installed and running.
            No need for any proprietary drivers. I have checked but there aren't any for this card.

I have now tried with the the wext, hostap, madwifi, atmel, ndiswrapper, ipw and ralink_legacy drivers, external and ioctl backend and every possible combination possible of them and I am still unable to connect.

And again thank you for your help.

Comment

I had a similar issue and found it was an issue with Network Manager; I had to use an alternate network manager to connect. I'd get the name of it for you but my computer's FUBAR atm.

Comment

Originally posted by slaskbak
                You're not authenticating to the access point, slaskbak. Suggest the first thing you try is turning off security on the AP and see if you can connect then.

Had the same problem with an access point with a hidden SSID and wicd - had to script it manually but before I got it fixed I got the same errors.

Assuming the SSID for your AP is *not* hidden then your authentication sequence has an issue.

Do this -

sudo iwlist eth1 scan

assuming eth1 is your WLAN card, of course.

This will tell you what kind of encryption, cipher and authentication suite your access point is currently using. If by some change you *are* using an AP that doesn't broadcast an SSID you have to script the connection as neither wicd nor the plasma applet will do hidden network names.
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Until about a year ago I had this problem and always got it sorted by installing WICD.

Installing WICD will remove the existing network manager therefore it's prudent to do it while on a wired connection or download the WICD deb so you can (re) install in case of problems.
                  But I must say the last several times all went without a glitch.

WICD has an extra advantage, it starts the network connection very early in the boot process so in case of problems and you only have the CLI there's already a network up.

Comment

Suggest the first thing you try is turning off security on the AP and see if you can connect then.
                    I agree with Wiz here. I don't think it is an issue with the card since I now know it is Dell's Intel based card. Their card yes, Intel no. It has to be that it can't handle WPA/WPA2 which is a possibility. After trying no security and you get a connection try WEP.

Comment

WICD is, in fact, what I've been using. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I've never gotten Network Manager to connect to my school's secure network, whereas it works on my home network just fine.

Comment

Thank you everybody for trying to help me!
                        • I am using WICD as my default network manager. I have also tried with Kubuntu's stock network manager.
                        • I have tried on both broadcasted and hidden SSID's. No other equipment or OS have any problems connecting to any of my wireless networks.
                        • I work with selling and installing wireless networks and other network equipment so I have total control over the configuration.
                        • I can connect to all wireless networks in Kubuntu when I turn the encryption off.

Here is the result of sudo iwlist eth1 scan:

eth1 Scan completed :
                        Cell 01 - Address: 02:6F:83:3A:CC:98
                        ESSID:""
                        Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
                        Mode:Master
                        Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
                        Encryption keyn
                        Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
                        9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
                        48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                        Quality=84/100 Signal level=-46 dBm
                        IE: WPA Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                        Extra: Last beacon: 16ms ago
                        Cell 02 - Address: 02:6F:83:3A:CC:99
                        ESSID:"AlcaGuest"
                        Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
                        Mode:Master
                        Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
                        Encryption keyn
                        Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s
                        9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
                        48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                        Quality=89/100 Signal level=-40 dBm
                        IE: WPA Version 1
                        Group Cipher : TKIP
                        Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
                        Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                        Extra: Last beacon: 16ms ago

As you can see we have two wireless networks. One internal with hidden SSID and one broadcasted guest network with only internet connection. Both with WPA1 TKIP/PSK at the moment, started with WPA2 RSN CCMP though. My problems are exactly the same on both networks and I have an identical setup at home with different SSID names and keys as the only difference where the problems are the same. As a matter of fact, when I'm home I connect to my neighbours unencrypted wireless network with the very original SSID "dlink" instead.

Comment

AFAIK no GUI will currently connect to a hidden SSID although wicd offers the option. There are quite a few bug reports on this - and on my work network with a hidden SSID I had to script wpa_supplicant and run dhclient after I authenticated. Got a little script that does all the dirty work.

I would suggest going the same route. wpa_supplicant isn't hard to run and generating a configuration that'll talk to your network isn't particularly hard. If you have trouble I can post the scripts I use but they're on my netbook and it might be awhile before I can post them.
                          -- anais nin

Comment

Also, wicd worked out of the box on my home network (WPA-PSK, TKIP but no hidden SSID).
                            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                              If you have trouble I can post the scripts I use but they're on my netbook and it might be awhile before I can post them.
                              Please do! There's always a possibilty I've done something wrong when I've tried to config wpa_supplicant manually. It's always nice to have something you know work to start from.

Comment

Working...
                              X