X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No GUI Interface after updates

Hello,

I've been running 9.10 for months now without issue. However, when I last applied updates yesterday all I got now is CLI. I know a little bit of this is my doing while trying to fix, but here is what happened.

1) Added the new beta repository
    2) sudo aptitiude update; sudo aptitude full-upgrade
    3) rebooted
    4) got to GUI login screen, entered name/pw, then just black screen.
    5) logged into tty1 and did #2, but it had nothing to apply
    6) went into aptitude directly and followed its recommendation
    7) it then appeared to removed LOTS of apps
    8) rebooted
    9) no GUI login, only CLI, also had no network access
    10) so did a proper ifconfig and route to restore
    11) repeated #2, but it had nothing to apply
    12) went into aptitude and added X11 module
    13) rebooted but now it says (Failed to load module "Nvidia")
    14) get some boot screens that talk about running in low res only, but only option is still CLI

HELP
    I know enough to be dangerous, but I think I'm digging myself in to deep and need some professional help. Any suggestions?

John....

Re: No GUI Interface after updates

John, you got that right, you become dangerous

What repository did you add exactly? (the "beta" repo you mention, I hope it's not the still broken repo for kubuntu lucid, that is 10.04).

It seems like in any case the NVIDIA driver stopped working. If you can get a console login, do "pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf", and change "nvidia" into "nv" in the appropriate line describing the driver in use. That should help you at least get a GUI, I hope!

Good luck!

Comment

I can't be sure but I beleive the respository was: //ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/beta/ubuntu karmic main
      Don't know how to check which repositories are setup via the CLI.

As for the xorg.conf file, found the "Nvidia" refernce, but I'm not sure of the exact driver name I have. I thought I was use 192 or something like that. Is there anyway to check or verify if it even got removed. Thanks,

John.....

Comment

It's even simpler

Code:
        Driver "nvidia"
        should become

Code:
        Driver "nv"
        Let's see if this gives you a GUI (you won't have 3D acceleration though). We'll go from there ...

Comment

Ok ! Progress...

I now have a GUI interface. Although it is now at a low resolution and it won't let me adjust it any higher, but I can navigate. Also it looks like a number of apps may be uninstalled or not setup properly. Finally, I also get a big warning message stating that Nepomuk is not running. No idea what it is. Next steps, suggestions. should I try removing the new beta respository and try to upgarde? Thanks again for all the help,

John.....

Comment

Hi,

Yes, i think it's best to go back. It looks like you installed KDE 4.4 Beta, which is not really stable, and not supposed to. Here is what I would do:

1st. Install another desktop, maybe lxde which is light, maybe icewm (much more minimal), and make sure you can login to that while KDE is down (it should show as a session type).
            2nd. From within the alternative desktop, Remove the repository that you added.
            3rd. Remove all KDE and Qt pakages.
            4th. Install the "kubuntu-desktop" metapackage.

After this, you should be able to log into KDE. At that point, you can go to hardware drivers, and enable the nvidia binary driver. Should this fail, now you know how to go back to the default "nv" driver.

Good luck!

Comment

Ok, got lxde loaded and I'm now running in that enviroment no problem. Now stupid question. How do I verify/change the repository settings and then remove the KDE/Qt packages. Use CLI or app with lxde? Always use to adding, never a structured remove. Thanks,

John......

Comment

Good question. You can remove the repository and the software with KPackageKit. Once you do that, it will not be available, because it depends on the KDE libraries. To install KDE and other things, including KPackageKit, you will need to run the following in a terminal (make sure you can launch a terminal in lxde):

Code:
                sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Looks like I'm about 90% of the way home, but it was a crazy ride. Once I opened KPackageKit while in lxde I removed the beta respository. Then I did a seach on any installed KDE packages. Selected one of the 100 or so at random and proceeded to uninstall. As luck would have it it included a large # of dependecies that would also get deleted. But then about half way through the removal I lost the entire GUI interface and was dumped into the CLI. So not the best approach because now I have an unknown # of KDE and Qt packages still installed and it would not let me do a "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" for some reason. Reboot didn't help. Very frustrated.

I then went into the full aptitude app and looked for uninstalled KDE packages from the (main) repository. It wanted to downgrade and uninstall a number of other items, but manually did an over ride so it was just adds. Completed operation and went back to the CLI. Then I retried the kubuntu-desktop install and it worked. Rebooted and had my full KDE desktop back. Screen resolution was off as well as several other odd things like extra task bars and the "Nvidia X Server Settings" could not be adjusted. So I needed to clean up the xorg.conf file and select the lastest nvidia driver through the "Hardware Drivers" app. Now it looks and runs ok but some apps also seem to be gone, like kdenlive and crossover. Will work on that today and see if I can get back to 100%. Thanks again for all the help,

John........

Comment

Ah, thank you for the report, and sorry, my bad. With the benefit of hindsight, we should have used aptitude, synaptic or just the command line to uninstall kde Sorry, again, I should have known better, I am glad you are so resourceful and brought it back!

Comment

Back again. Still got some residuals issues.

First off when I look at the system monitor I see my CPU is running at about 10-20% utilization and network traffic is around 14Mb/s out and 2Mb/s in fairly constant. Strange part is it stays the same even with the physical network cable pulled. Looking at the processes running XORG is clocking in at 7%+. Also every time I log out I get a crash notice for Knetworkmanger and Plasmaworkspace.

Finally I just noticed that in the process list there are 2 instances of Knetworkmanger and Plasmaworkspace listed and 1 of each pair is shown as STOPPED. Looks like reinstalling got me some dups that are now causing conflicts. Any suggestions on how to remove just the extras?

Thanks,

John..........

Comment

Most likely it is a config issue more than a software issue: the KDE config files are supposed to be fine if you upgrade, but not if you downgrade. An easy way is to rename, from LXDE, you .kde file in your home folder. Then you logout from LXDE, and log into KDE. All settings will be recreated fresh (you will lose all customizations). But you can always come back to the previous state by removing the freshly created .kde, and renaming the old .kde back to its original name (namely .kde). Good luck, John!

Comment

Well, no such luck. Did the rename of .kde directory and it did in fact rebuild a new one, but it didn't solve the problem. BTW, in both Kubuntu and LXDE desktops it showed the dup instances of the processes running. Sort of hitting a wall at this point, and moving to plan B if we can't make some headway here. Right now I'm in the process of copying over my main partition to a backup drive and once that is done I'm going to do a clean reinstall of 9.10. I know it's going to be a pain and will have to resetup a lot of configs and apps, but I don't see to many options. I think all the up and down grading has brought me to some unknown state. Oh well, I let you know how it goes, but still open to ideas. Thanks,

John............

Comment

Arrgghh, the only idea that pops to mind is to look at the list of installed files, alphabetically sorted, and see if there is anything obvious (like two similar packages, one for KDE3 and KDE4). I agree, sometimes it's better to cut the losses and just do a clean install

I've been running Linux the last 15 years, so I kind of know my way back from any mess, but when trying to fix a machine you don't have access to it can take forever ! Oh well, at least you have this great community, you are never alone

Comment

Working...
                            X